I Forge Iron

Some other lathe projects i have done.

aametalmaster

If anyone want plans for any of there items just drop me a line..Bob
Pic 1 ER40 collet chuck.
Pic 2 Ball Turner. Will make balls up to 3" OD.
Pic 3 Cross slide hole driller. Used to drill set screw holes.
Pic 4 Taper attachment.
Pic 5 Giant faceplate from a cast iron disc.
Pic 6 Drilling faceplate with cr slide hole driller and index plate.

4390.attach

4391.attach

4392.attach

4393.attach

4394.attach

4395.attach

If i would build another taper attachment i would use a rectangle bar for the sine bar instead of round bar as i did. The round bar is fine but i had some old wheels to run on it and making them would be a pain in the rear. I also have to remove the complete cross slide screw so the cross slide moves freely to follow the taper but thats only a 2 minute job...Bob
More how to pics here>> southbend10k : SouthBendLathe10k and lathe projects.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is another i did yesterday for the wife. She broke the handle on her el cheapo lint roller and wanted me to make one that wouldn't break. Enter the aluminum bar stock. It turned out so good i may go into production on them for gifts anyway. Now i can say dear thats why i have 4 metal lathes to keep you happy :) ..Bob

10398.attach

10399.attach

10400.attach

10401.attach

• 2 months later...

That is great, the next time I'm looking at lathes on ebay and the wife says " So you get this lathe and then what are you going to do with it?" Instead of my usual "I can think of a ton of things." answer - I'm coming back to this post. ;)

Back in the 1980's I worked in a machine shop running a Jones and Lamson turret lathe - wanted one ever since - so many tools so little time!

Bill

Chad,
The taper attachment is the easy part. Unhooking your cross slide screw is the hard part. Because you want your cross slide to float along while being guided by the bar in the back thats set to the angle. How big is your leadscrew? (dia and TPI) because maybe one from ebay off another lathe would work.

If anyone want plans for any of there items just drop me a line..Bob
Pic 2 Ball Turner. Will make balls up to 3" OD.
Pic 4 Taper attachment.

I would certainly like and greatly appreciate plans for the two projects mensioned above. PM me if you like.
Thanks,
Les

• 3 months later...