I Forge Iron

Gas burner problem

Mad Tinker

I built a propane burner I found  on instructables. I used a 9/64ths bit to drill my hole fired it up and looks like it's burning rich I'm running it at 10 psi and have a green  flame. I covered the intake with a scrap piece of metal  it turned orange  but the pressure dropped  in the forge.  Not sure howto tune it in. 

Welcome aboard Mad Tinker, glad to have you.

9/64" gas jet!? How big a burner did you make 2" dia tube or? I haven't DRILLED a jet since the mid 80's.

You're going to have to post the link to the plans to have any hope for help. Your question doesn't provide enough information to have a clue what kind of mistakes you're making.

That's like asking, "I have 300gls of gas. Is that enough?"

Heck, I can save myself the hassle of trying to figure out those plans. Search IFI for the T burner or Side Arm burner. They work.

It shouldn't be too long and I'll have the new T burner build plans ready to post. It'll be a week at least though.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a linear burner based on Ron Reil's EZ. You need to follow the directions, it'll work as well a linear will.

Do NOT ask Ron questions unless you have followed his directions to the letter. He became so disgusted with people just asking questions instead of reading the directions and FAQs he stopped responding at all. UNLESS someone had come up with something he hadn't seen.

I'm afraid your question falls into the didn't follow the directions category. Just print out the directions and follow them step by step. Better still if this is the type burner you want then go to Ron's archived directions on the ABANA site, the link is in the article you linked and follow Ron's directions to the LETTER.

Okay, I'm going to address your too rich statement against my better judgement. The device you built can NOT draw enough combustion air PERIOD. It's so far out of the operational range of an induction device it can NOT be MADE to work.

My large shop forge runs four 3/4" T burners, the gas supply to the manifold feeding ALL THREE is 1/8" pipe and I can run them all wide open without starving any for fuel. That is 1/64" SMALLER diameter than what you drilled for the gas jet! Just off the top of my head a jet that size would need a 12" diameter burner tube to function at near neutral.

If you can't follow directions better than that then you need to either buy a burner or NOT play with flammable gas, it's just too dangerous.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Thanks Frosty for the info. I built a bigger burner for air flow and will try it tomorrow. I will also try to get some pics up of the other burner plus the new one i made. I am new to this and wanted to try it out. I have a coal/wood forge I have used made out of a old brake drum and bottom of a lawnmore. which works great. But I thought building a gas forge would be cheaper and alittle faster. Forgive me as im pretty new to this and has been my dream to do blacksmithing.

Building a propane forge is like doing your own brakes---you want to be very sure you get it right the first time and so follow the specific instructions for your make and model of vehicle(burner).   If you assume you don't need to follow the instructions bad things can happen.

No need to apologize Tink, nobody is born knowing this stuff. It's just that flammable gas burners are VERY dangerous and your knowledge base isn't large enough to recognize good bad, safe, potential disaster.

A friend, Robert Grauman a long time caster was visiting Alaska in the mid 80s when Ron Reil and were about split up on how to build burners. He likes linears and I much prefer ejector type NA burners. Anyway, Robert and I were talking about propane burners over coffee on a sight seeing run down Turnagain Arm and I was describing the T burner. Unfortunately neither of us had a pen that would write on a napkin and he misunderstood how I was using the T. A couple months later after he'd returned home and got some shop time he built a burner and sent me a picture of it burning.

It was the SIDE ARM!! <GASP!> He'd misunderstood and got it all wrong. I came to my senses before I actually sent the email telling him he'd gotten it completely wrong. There was a picture of the thing operating smooth as a gravy sandwich and I was going to say it was WRONG?!

Robert isn't a blacksmith, he's a caster he scaled the burner to 1 1/4" dia tube and was using one burner to melt 50lb. of iron at a time.

The point of that long ramble isn't about one burner being better than another, almost 30 years of empirical evidence speaks for itself. The point is knowledge bases. Robert and I both had good knowledge bases to start with and I collaborated with a science teacher using industrial papers and drawings. We weren't winging it, we were exploring new territory in an understood field.

This is NOT something to wing, not when the hard parts have already been done, just follow the instructions carefully and you're golden.

Frosty The Lucky.

The point of that long ramble isn't about one burner being better than another, almost 30 years of empirical evidence speaks for itself. The point is knowledge bases. Robert and I both had good knowledge bases to start with and I collaborated with a science teacher using industrial papers and drawings. We weren't winging it, we were exploring new territory in an understood field.

This is NOT something to wing, not when the hard parts have already been done, just follow the instructions carefully and you're golden.

Frosty The Lucky.

As Usual I totally agree with Frosty's  comments.   I started out building my own burners from scratch with the knowledge acquired from years of work in the industrial gas business and reams of engineering graphs.  At this time when folks ask me about forge burners I refer them to "Gas Burners, for Forges, Furnaces & Kilns "      by Michael Porter. Published by Skipjack Press.   Followed exactly it provides all the information needed to produce a satisfactory ejector burner.