I Forge Iron

money question about wrought iron

I would not sell it unless you absolutely had no use for it. If you can find it, it seems to be selling for $6 to $8 a pound for good wrought and as a bladesmith the wagon rims are great stuff, etches very nice. For a guy that just wants to make a grill or a gate he won't pay that he will be around or under a $1 a pound. Remember they don't make it anymore and once all the surplus wrought is used up it will be gone except for the backyard guys that make it. I bought a ton of wrought anchor chain a while back and have parted with a few pounds to friends but since I have not been able to get more I have stopped and have decided to only use it for furniture on my knives as the pile is dwindling I may get 10 years if I am lucky out of my pile and then I have no more. Sorry for the lengthy post but just wanted to make a point of the rarity of the wrought and it should be saved for special projects.

All of you. thanks for the help. I have these rims, that were forge welded together. and a bunch of other stuff from an old manure spreader my father-in-law drug out of his woods (same plot of land I got my first anvil and leg vice from). being generous in nature to begin with, I was ready to give half of it to my local abana chapter, and some of them were "eager" for me to do so, when one or two came up quietly and said hold on to it. I later thanked them for the advice and gave one of them a foot long piece.

The rest is just laying next to my house, waiting for me to find a use. I hate it when that happens.

Wrought iron was selling at US$1 a pound at many a Quad-State, mainly old bridge iron.

I can find it faster than I can use it. Would be really helpfull if I could pick up some 1/2" sq and round though instead of the 1" diameter stuff---too much time spent forging it down.

You might check into the prices the Real Wrought Iron Co, LTD sells for.

Hang onto your wrought. I have gotten my hands on a little, from here and there over time. A few wagon rims, one old andiron, some other bits and pieces. I don't do anything with it at this point because I think I am better serving myself to wait on using it until my skills have improved quite a bit and I reach the point where I want to use it for some special project, so I resist the temptation and just leave it all alone for sometime in the future.
I once heard something that can be applied here- a wise old man once told a young man who wanted to know what he should do with his money, "Buy land son, everybody wants it and they quit making it a long time ago".:)Dan.