I Forge Iron

These sell well ...

ausfire

These camp oven lid lifters sell really well. We have lots of southern tourists in Winnebagos and campervans coming by my forge lately and I can't keep up the demand for these. Just a 300mm length of 12mm square bar with a long horn bull forged on top. The horns make good finger grips for lifting the lids of camp ovens (Dutch ovens in the US I think).

DSC_4503.jpg

I like them. I'll BET they sell well. A good demo project too. Here: Moose, Dahl sheep rams, musk ox and caribou would be popular. Thanks for the look, consider it adopted. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I do them in ram's head design too, just to keep the sheep cockies happy. Cattlemen prefer the longhorns and they do fit the fingers better than the rams. The same design can be used for hat hooks - replace the twist with two punched holes for wall mounting (and no swan neck on the head or hook).

Yeah, I do them in ram's head design too, just to keep the sheep cockies happy. Cattlemen prefer the longhorns and they do fit the fingers better than the rams. The same design can be used for hat hooks - replace the twist with two punched holes for wall mounting (and no swan neck on the head or hook).

Thought you might be interested, someone in Parkes is selling a hand forged camp oven lifting tool on ebay, only basic design.tried to sent you a pm but unable.

I am wondering what they sell for.  

Well, I can't keep up the demand selling them at $45. (that's just over $30 in US dollars). I am fortunate though in that I can sell them through the shop at the Village where I do the demos at no commission. And it's our winter high tourist season now, so there is a steady sream of buyers. If I sold them on a commission basis in another outlet I would have to charge more. I just don't have enough time to make as many as I can sell.

Thought you might be interested, someone in Parkes is selling a hand forged camp oven lifting tool on ebay, only basic design.tried to sent you a pm but unable.

Yeah, I just looked that up. That scrolled loop on the handle end would take a lot less time to forge than the bull's head or ram's head. And the lifter end has no flat on it so I think it would be a bit wobbly.

Not too worried about that, Joel. I think we can get over zealous about protecting our designs. We all put our own individuality into them and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has made similar hooks. 

Well, I can't keep up the demand selling them at $45. (that's just over $30 in US dollars). I am fortunate though in that I can sell them through the shop at the Village where I do the demos at no commission. And it's our winter high tourist season now, so there is a steady sream of buyers. If I sold them on a commission basis in another outlet I would have to charge more. I just don't have enough time to make as many as I can sell.

$30.00 U.S. seems very inexpensive for an item like that.

$30.00 U.S. seems very inexpensive for an item like that.

Well, perhaps, but I am not the fastest worker. I imagine there are smiths around who could make three of these in the time it takes me to do one. But I don't rush - that's when you make mistakes. I do only one at a time. I tried doing multiples, but lost track of the process and finished up burning the horns off one. Wasted time.

For the early ones I did, the price may have been a bit cheap considering the time taken but I can do them fairly quickly now that I have the process refined, so I figure the price is right for the time spent.

I guess we all struggle with accurately and fairly pricing our work.

I should have added that the exchange rate should be taken into account. I price those lifters at $45. I wonder if an American tourist coming by would do a quick calculation to US currency  based on the Au$ buying 72c U.S. at the moment. I doubt it! A couple of years back, an Au$ was U.S.$1.10.