I Forge Iron

Should I refurbish this Peter Wright anvil?

I attended a 'Green Skills Workshop' here in western Wisconsin that us locals put on each spring to share what we know.  I wandered into a blacksmith demonstration and was hooked.  I recently picked up my first anvil for $200.  Pictures included.  Two questions:

1) Should I refurbish this anvil with a stick welder to remake the edges, etc?  It's going to be used for working, not for show.

2) Does anyone have an idea what the strange end on the horn is for?  Is it just from being used repeatedly for a certain task?

Thank you.  I look forward to many discussions here :)

anvil01.jpg

anvil02.jpg

anvil03.jpg

anvil06.jpg

anvil05.jpg

anvil04.jpg

Well I think I answered the second question just by reading some other forum posts along the same lines.  I just don't know if this one is in worse shape than the others, thereby rendering a different decision, so I'd still like some input.

Thanks again.

1 - 1 - 15 is 155 pounds and you paid $200 or $1.29 a pound.

Use it for a year before you make any modifications. By then you will know if the anvil needs fixed, how to fix it, and would have found someone to do the fix properly.

Welcome aboard Bifrost, glad to have you.

That's a plenty workable anvil. Even someone experienced refacing anvils puts one at risk. Just running rod on it is a BAD thing,more likely to cause HAZ failures at the bead edges.

Like Glenn says, put that old lady to work and in a year or two you'll have enough time under your hammer to be able to judge if it needs some tweaking. A good solid skills set is much more important than a smooth, straight, etc. anvil. It's the smith's eyes, hands and mind that do the work.

Leave her be for a while.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nothing major wrong with that anvil.  Get to work hammering and you will become a better blacksmith regardless of equipment, practice welding on your anvil and you might become a better weldor but your smiting time will suffer and you might well wreck the anvil.