I Forge Iron

"American explorer" themed hunter set. Knife 1 WIP

I've been talking to some of you about a skinning knife I'll be making with a checkered handle.  It's part of a set themed around some of the great American explorers.  The first knife in the set, "The Clark," is a pretty straight forward drop-point hunter.  Here's the WIP.... and the obligatory injury photo.  More to come tomorrow.

20150704_025042.jpg

20150704_025004.jpg

20150704_034556.jpg

So planning any others from North America than just folks from the USA?  (about to head to work in the United States of Mexico)

Since moving down this away I've been reading up on the spanish explorations and think they would make a great theme for a set of blades and of course the Canadians did a lot of exploring even in what is now the USA---fur trappers and the lost expeditions looking for the NW Passage.

I do hope you do one for a group of american explorers---our Astronauts!

Edited by ThomasPowers

I've been talking to some of you about a skinning knife I'll be making with a checkered handle.  It's part of a set themed around some of the great American explorers.  The first knife in the set, "The Clark," is a pretty straight forward drop-point hunter.  Here's the WIP.

20150704_025004.thumb.jpg.cb7ff7f4651ec6 here's the design.  Full tang 440c, with a brass guard, pins, and a mosaic center pin, and a lanyard hole.20150704_025042.thumb.jpg.413b2314b9c493 the beginning grind and rough work20150704_131752.thumb.jpg.eefd9ba6192afa screwed up my grind line trying to cut corners, so I decided to take the grind clear back to the spine.20150704_034540.thumb.jpg.b20d421f11d638and the obligatory injury photo.

Working on the polish tonight.  More pictures tomorrow. Feedback is welcome!

So planning any others from North America than just folks from the USA?  (about to head to work in the United States of Mexico)

Since moving down this away I've been reading up on the spanish explorations and think they would make a great theme for a set of blades and of course the Canadians did a lot of exploring even in what is now the USA---fur trappers and the lost expeditions looking for the NW Passage.

I do hope you do one for a group of american explorers---our Astronauts!

hey, send me a list of ideas and I'll run with it!!  I think a Spanish explorer series would be a lot of fun, and an extraterrestrial set gives a lot of imaginative possibilities that could be really cool.

Edited by BlackthornForge