I Forge Iron

soup can forge help

roadkill595

Hi guys,

I recently decided to try my hand at blacksmithing and knife making. I made a small soup can forge but it isn't performing like it should. I have a suspicion my issue is that I'm not getting enough airflow but am unsure what the best way to fix it is. Please check out the video I posted and let me know what you think. 

Thanks. 

My first little soup can forge was made just using kaowool for insulation. I also got better heat and performance when I pulled the torch back to where the end of it was just a tad outside the can and blowing into it.

Now, saying that... I am just a beginner myself and suggest paying close attention to what the highly skilled and experienced curmudgeons...ummm, smiths like Mr. Thomas Powers, Frosty, or several others.

The insulation is a half sand half plaster of paris mix. I'm really just trying to get a good even heat that will get say 4 inches of material red hot. right now I'm just getting the tip of what i'm working with going. I'll try backing it out and see if that helps. 

Welcome aboard Roadkill, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Pull the torch tip out of the chamber, you want just the tip in the refractory blanket. Angle it so the flame is tangential to the chamber so it produces a vortex and evens the temperature.

NO, no more air! It's running nice and neutral now, more air will cool it and make an oxidizing atmosphere, neither good things.

Okay you just posted your reply to Thomas. That is a completely unsatisfactory refractory. Heck, it isn't really refractory at all and it's a major heat sink just absorbing most of the torch's output.

Get ye down to the local ceramic supplier OR HVAC company and pick up some Kaowool or equivalent ceramic blanket refractory. Open the phone book and make some calls before going shopping. The Big commercial HVAC company in Anchorage is very generous to the blacksmithing club and it's hard to get away without a pile of Kaowool drops and rems from jobs.

1" 8lb. blanket is what you're looking for in that application. Form it into a tube that slips into the can, make a hole for the burner and light it up. It will be high yellow heat in less than a minute and you'll have to pay attention or burn up your work.

The reason the knife cools so quickly is because it's so thin, it has zero to do with the forge. You could draw it from the fire sparking hot and it'd be black in seconds.

Frosty The Lucky.

What he said, you can buy enough kaowool to build a forge that size for about US$10  which you will save in propane your first month using it.  Also look into getting a converter that will allow you to use the torch off a full sized BBQ bottle.  They are *much* cheaper than the "cans" *MUCH* *CHEAPER* (like 1/5 the cost---I can fill a bottle for less than 1 gallon in cans)

Btw arkie, if (lol, as if it isn't a given) you actually get hooked on heating up metal and shaping it into stuff... You just might wanna build a bigger forge... I did, used Frosty's burner design. Super easy to put together and works awesome for what I'm ready to do. If I need more room, I light my brake drum coal forge.

Another one for the Dark Side; the Emperor *WILL* be pleased!

It's one reason my intro to smithing projects are ones that are fast and easy and hard to totally fail at.  Once they *know* they can smith they are more tolerant of issues trying more complex alloys or projects...So the "S" hook or drive hook.

For blades I generally have them work some 1/8" x 3/4" spring steel where the first one you hammer a bit on the bevel and draw out the tang to make a simple eating knife (medieval group style)