Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'soup can forge'.
Hi guys, I recently decided to try my hand at blacksmithing and knife making. I made a small soup can forge but it isn't performing like it should. I have a suspicion my issue is that I'm not getting enough airflow but am unsure what the best way to fix it is. Please check out the video I posted and let me know what you think. Thanks.
I've been having to work out of town a good bit lately and when I've been home on the weekends, all the built up honey-do's have kept my coal forge being a cold forge. I've been carrying a 14" chunk of rail (it weighs right at 43#) in my work van for several months now. So I got fed up and took an angle grinder to one end of it. I got rid of the mushroomed edges, flattened out a rough cut that was made and added a couple of features. I started with a miniature horn on one side of the base and rounded the other side into a bottom fuller. Then I added a hot cut into the end of the web. I took an old cheap pair of small lineman's pliers someone had buggered the cutting part of, and ground them into a small pair of tongs with v-grooves to hold round or square stock as well as flat (Probably no more than 1/4" stuff). I cleaned up and freed up a small pair of rusted up snap-ring pliers and repurposed them as scrolling tongs. The tools aren't real big, that's a quarter between them. But they work for what I want them for. I bent a short piece of 1/4" round into a stand for my propane torch... I used a little scrap sheet metal, an old tin can from the side of the road and some kaowool (or something similar) scraps I talked the guys rewrapping the boilers and pipes and such at a NG Power plant out of to make a soup-can-forge. I fired it up yesterday afternoon in the back corner of the hotel parking lot. It got the 1/8" round stock up to bright orange easily. I made this little leaf keychain charm, brushed it with a brass wire brush while it was hot and will spray it with clear-coat soon. It was fun to get some smithing in.