I Forge Iron

On line bargains?

These couple of beauties are on offer here.

Two questions;

1. Has anyone EVER heard of a Hardweas Anvil?? You can have it starting at $1500

2. If an anvil is worth say $1000, is half an anvil worth $500? That's its starting price.

(Sorry about lousy pic quality - off the 'net.)

half anvil.jpg

Hardweas Anvil.jpg

Lol what a joke, sadly EVERY anvil here in AU is priced that way. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of anvils, i've seen heaps, they are just about everywhere on farms, workshops .ect people are just asking WAY too much or would rather store their pot plants on them or keep them just to say "i have an anvil" because they are made of gold.

Edited by Damastang

I thought it must be 'Hardwear' but the ad said Hardweas and it does look like that in the photo. Maybe I'll send him an email to change it - Hardweas looks pretty silly.

As Damastang said, there's no shortage of anvils, but that one in the first pic is definitely short of anvil!

How about this, absolute bargain, $2200 for the anvil plus a few pairs of tongs, top tools and branding irons worth about $150-$200. Say the anvil on its own is worth $2000 to the seller, that's $8.92/pound!!!!! and BK anvils are by no means rare in Australia.

$_20.JPG

Ok this one takes the cake, ill stop now. you can have this for a bargain starting bid of $800!!!!! looks to be an 84 pound Wilkinson from the other pictures. That's $9.53/pound! What a steal!

Aw, mate, you're a bit hard on the guy. Don't forget it includes the you-beaut truck rim and the mounting block, not forgetting the complimentary paper clip.

It appears I need to rewrite my will or there will be family fights over my anvil.  It always been my stated desire my son get it and use it and when he is done pass it on again.  My  daughter on the other hand would have it on the market before my ashes cool for the $$$$.  It has now reach value equal to some of my custom rifles if you believe the asking prices today.  There lies the problem asking vs. receiving prices, people only see the asking. 

Yeah, what is it with anvils here in Oz? Other than the anvil I rescued from 'Sims metals', and a bit of railway iron, I'd have to sell a kidney to even be in the bidding. "Nuffs-afugginnuff", I say!

Anvil prices in Aus have always been stupid but the influence of the "pickers" and "auction" and similar type TV shows have made it worse. The prices in the International Tat Bazaar* and Eucalyptus* ads you have shown above influence many other new seller in the market as well. There are a couple of sellers on the above sites that always ask too much to try and keep the prices high and anyone looking for a steampunk garden ornament will pay because they don't know any better. Unfortunately if it looks old and used it must be an "antique" and therefore worth a ludicrous amount of money.

TPAAAT works!  Get to any farm clearing sales you see advertised as blacksmithing gear is often lumped under the "too many sundries to list" category, and you can talk to other buyers at the sale about what you are after.  Our local blacksmithing group (ABASA) does demo's at various different locations and anyone that walks up and says they still have the aged relatives blacksmithing gear in the shed gets told that if they sell it through us they will get a reasonable price and it will be USED (which often helps for some reason).

<rant>Macca, you mentioned rescuing from a scrapper, OH&S and insurance companies have killed scrounging in scrap yards in South Australia so you were lucky to get into yours. I've heard too many stories from when scrap was A$400+ a ton of whole farm yards being cleared out, either intentionally by the farmer for the money (we're never going to use any of those old tools/equipment again, several tons of wrought iron in ploughs gone), or in several cases where aged widows had a "nice young man" come and clean up all the scrap that was laying around, and all the old furniture in the shed, and he only charged me $200 to do it.  There should be a special place in hell reserved for people who do things like that.</rant>

Andrew

* online auction and sales sites, names changed to avoid advertising for them.

Long story short:

Worked with 'the last apprenticed Tool Maker', in Australia,for Sidchrome (Siddons Industries). Anyhoo...chatting (as you do) and the subject came up re: Anvils. Tells me when 'they' closed down Sidchrome tool works in Melbourne (bought out by Proto, then Stanley, all work went offshore...China) there was a 'free for all' laterally transferring 'assets'. He managed to get four, yes four, anvils out, also is dad managed a couple.

We keep on chatting, I then hit him up to selling me one. Says he'll do better than that, he'll give it to me. "Who do I have to kill?" "Please tell me you want me to kill someone." :D Says me. "When I get my stuff over from Melbourne (Living in Perth at the time...so was I).

As luck has it, he changes jobs. I lose touch with him...there goes my anvil! Oh XXXXXXXXXX  you Blacksmith gods!

Edited by Steve Sells
Language violations AGAIN