I Forge Iron

Skink (not stink)

Seems that ausfire and I have gotten off on a blacksmithreptile kick lately.:)  His latest "crockofile" was really neat.

Well, I found a piece of 1" angle iron which I had filled with welding stringers just keeping my welding skills(?) in shape.  I figured it would be better to try to put a piece of the solid steel to good use instead of the scrap pile.  I cut off a piece of the cleanest and fullest stringer filled part.  I then forged it down to about 1/2" - 3/4" square.  I have NO idea what the resulting steel type is when you build up a lot of welding stringers, but for yard art...who cares?  I was sitting on the deck and skinks (a type of lizard) were running all over the place and I could visualize a skink out of the forged weldment stringers.  Anyway, here is the result, three-toed skink.  No scales, they're too tiny to forge.  Recycling/repurposing at it's greatest!!

As a side note, a lot of folks do a lot of welding practice building up sizeable pieces with/from stringers.  Why throw it in the scrap bin?  Make something useful with it.  Reshape, draw out, bend, fold,...etc. to utilize it.  I doubt it would be useful for serious bladesmiths since the metallurgy is unknown.  I suspect the core of most common welding rods is mostly mild steel of some sort, excepting specialty types (stainless, hardfacing, nickel, etc.) but beyond that...???

2.JPG

1.JPG

Edited by arkie

That's a smooth skink, Arkie. Funny how the spellcheck doesn't accept skink. We have the small garden variety here in great numbers and also some that are quite robust like the bluetongues and stumpy tails. The little guys like yours have scales that are virtually invisible, so the smooth body of your welding stringer skink looks fine. Nice idea, mate. Ultimate recycling.

Hi,

Cool little skink you got there, Arkie.

Could someone just tell me what does stringers mean - I googled it and looked in dictionary but still don't get it. Though I see the second picture and I have some ideas but still... So thank you, guys, if you can tell.

Bests

Gergely

Gergely: a stringer is a narrow arc welding bead resulting from straight (that is without deliberate side-to-side movement) rod motion. It's not particularly relevant to Arkie's point that it be that kind of welding pattern. Any practice piece with a lot of welding build up is equivalent...

Hi,

Cool little skink you got there, Arkie.

Could someone just tell me what does stringers mean - I googled it and looked in dictionary but still don't get it. Though I see the second picture and I have some ideas but still... So thank you, guys, if you can tell.

Bests

Gergely

​Eric had a good description.

These are stringers (not mine, photo borrowed from weldingweb site).  My recycled stock was made with the stringers filling angle iron to the edges, not on a flat plate.  I guess one could fold and forge weld a plate like this.

stringers 01.jpg

Edited by arkie

That's a smooth skink, Arkie. Funny how the spellcheck doesn't accept skink. We have the small garden variety here in great numbers and also some that are quite robust like the bluetongues and stumpy tails. The little guys like yours have scales that are virtually invisible, so the smooth body of your welding stringer skink looks fine. Nice idea, mate. Ultimate recycling.

​Yeah, the skink was more of an afterthought than being something pre-planned.  I'm almost embarrased to post something like it when I see some of the fantastic work shown here on the forum.

My intent in posting was to give some blacksmith/welders an idea to recycle some of their scrap practice pieces into usable steel stock instead of junking them.

​Eric had a good description.

These are stringers (not mine, photo borrowed from weldingweb site).  My recycled stock was made with the stringers filling angle iron to the edges, not on a flat plate.  I guess one could fold and forge weld a plate like this.

stringers 01.jpg

​How about welding a piece of high nickle steel in the fold or a flat plate over the beads. It might make for interesting pattern development eh?

Oh heck what am I thinking? Use different alloy rods! Oooh fun.

Frosty The Lucky.

I only wish I could run straight beads like that!!  Mine wander all over the place.  That guy has good steady hands.

​Do what I do in a situation like that. I rest my hand on a 4x4 as a guide. Works a treat all the weave you need is a little wrist action.

And yeah, those long beautifully straight torch cuts I make are done with a guide. Seriously guys, unnecessary free hand is for show offs.

Frosty The Lucky.