I Forge Iron

Recent knives.

neg

I just realized I haven't posted anything in a long time. Here's a few I've done over the past few months:

seax.thumb.jpg.7ceb45a2d7418a8874e4808d7

Forged this seax a while ago, and yesterday I finally decided to finish it. It's made from a large old file, hammered to shape. I chiseled in a fuller on both sides. The blade is 7", and the whole knife is 12" long. The handle is made from brass, elk horn, and wood found in my yard.

55686161d6c9e_hishers.thumb.jpg.c95ad221

Made these a while ago, one's for me and one for my wife. Both made from old Nicholson files. I made the micarta from felt and fiberglass resin. The blue and brown one's mine.

viking_langseax_by_neg_319-d8dvjun.thumb

I'd been wanting one of these for myself for a while. The blade is 14", making it 19 1/2" overall. The steel is leaf spring. The handle consists of aluminum, steel, elk horn, and some wood I found in my yard.

big_bowie_by_neg_319-d8dvace.thumb.jpg.2

Ever since I started blacksmithing, my dad's been begging me to forge a big bowie knife. Well, I was never really a fan of bowies, but after watching a whole lot of Hell on Wheels, they've grown on me. It started out as an old farrier's rasp. I did a mixture of forging and stock removal on this one. The handle consists of brass and a special micarta that I made from leather, felt, pecan shells, and tree bark. I really love how this knife turned out, so did my dad.

Those were the only pictures I took  before I gave it away. It looks really nice close up though. I had a layer of leather in there, but if you try it, leave the leather out. It delaminated and the resin wouldn't hold it. After it dried I had to epozy it to the micarta to get it to work right, but it was a hassle.

If those points have a slight radius to them, or they are in a more tempered area they will be fine on a sword like that. Having multiple sharp notches along the hardest part of the blade like the rasp knife can be trouble. I had a file knife crack in several places during quenching, each crack was where a tooth was. A notch or corner in and of itself is not a problem, the shape of it is.  Sharp is bad, radiuses are good.

Take a piece of paper 1" wide and have someone hold the other end. Take a pair of scissors and cut a sharp vee notch in it about 1/4" deep. Now both of you pull on your ends. Next take another piece and cut a 4 to 1 radius in it IE; 1/4" deep x 1" long and see how much stronger it is. Now cut it even deeper to see how much strength it retains even when it is deeper than 1/4" 

I see what you mean . Although the Hamachi is a 90 Degree angle and the munemachi is a 90 .  The spine or mune  is pretty soft  maybe 30 - 40 rc  where as the Hamachi

is hardened to 60 or more .It has a lot to do with support of blade with the Habaki  . I do see

an occasional blade made with verticle Grooves similar to a blood groove over the complete

blade

. Most of those are chefs knives ( hocho) The vertical grooves are there to stop sliced food from sticking to knife .hollow_edge.thumb.jpg.94e062d7bedc80251f

There are also cleavers made for hard chopping with same grooves . I can see additionally that grooves with uneven or irregular grooves not clean and polished could be a problem with a chopping blade.  James