I Forge Iron

Hi there from SE Michigan

BobMc

Hi there,

I'm Bob from SE Michigan. Brand new to blacksmithing.

A tinsmith by trade, my work has changed, after the recent downturn in the economy, the tinshop at the mill was made to dwindle away. After spending the last couple years cleaning soot and tar out of pipes, instead of making things, I decided had better start creating stuff at home before I go crazy.

I just picked up an anvil, and pole vice, just yesterday, and I have misc hammers and such to get a start. Figure I'll use charcoal at first in a simple dirt/clay/brick forge to make a few s hooks for my wife's hanging planters, and make myself a cant hook, or log peavey type tool, for helping me move the odd log around here. That ought to give me something concrete to do without getting too far too fast.

I'm going to look into a blacksmith organization here in Michigan, but I haven't done so yet,

Welcome aboard! It is way adictive! I would imagine a tin smith could find a market for reproduction tin ware from the fur trade, revolutinary and civil war renactors, but blacksmithing is just to dang adictive!

move your faverit chair to place stratigiacaly placed between the bathroom and kitchen (or if you live alone, just put the fridge next to the john). Plenty to reed. Have a look at the solid fuel forge section, particularly the side blast and simple 55 forges. Tho the iron age ground forge (built in to an anvil high table) is simple, and only requies a box of 1x6 lumber and a bit of sculpting to make. A hand full of soft red or hard fire brick are an improvement, but scupted adobe works just as well. For myself, one of my forges is simply that. Place. 3/4 peice of pipe at 3-4" of the bottom of the box, if not using brick, place an extra board on the back, with brick you can make a hole for the pipe theew it, or space the bricks side to side and fill in with adobe. Or just build up a wall with adobe (abaout 1/3 clay and 2/3 sand or sand silt mix horse manuer or finely shredded straw helps reduce cracks) or just use ramed earth. Any how, depending on if you chose 3 or 4", fill the rest of the box to the rim and scoop out a bowl infront of the pipe (leave the pipe flush or back to keep it from melting)  as the hot spot in charcoal is only about 4-6" around in this set up the bowl only needs to be about that size (about 3" deap and piled up against the back wall) you want an inch or so below the pipe to colect ash and crud. You need to control the air suply, a 3/4" ball or gate valve is probbably the easiest for an electric blower (haidryer or air bed inflater) and an on of switch. Cheap and easy and more efesent than the "washtub forge" 

Greetings and welcome Bob,

Log in to mi blacksmith.org. Our Michigam group. There are many members who will guide you along. Lots of events and projects in our news letter.  If I can help you in any way just PM .. Have fun

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Thanks for the link!

I just printed out a membership form.

I see there is an event in mid-June. Across the state, but it might be fun to get out of town too. I'll have to see what the missus and the job have in store first.

Welcome aboard Bob, glad to have you. There are a lot of blacksmiths and metal heads in the upper mid west. An experienced tin knocker will fit right in with the Guild of Metalsmiths, GOM. If you tell them Frosty sent you they MIGHT still talk to you. <grin>

Don't think we're taking shots at YOU if we start griping about Trolls. On fora and e-mail lists Trolls are unsavory folk who thrive on making as many people as possible as unhappy as they are. We won't be talking about folk who live below THE bridge. I married a UPer or I wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Ted Guimond of South Haven, Mi for a blacksmithing lesson at the Michigan Flywheeler's Museum swap meet and hammer-in event in South Haven, Michigan over the weekend.

I crossed the state to observe and maybe shop, only to find that the visitors were way down on Friday from early rain. Fortunately for me I had brought my safety equipment just-in-case because Ted offered to have me come into the booth and go over some basics.

After covering shop safety, communication, the forge, fire tending, hot metal etc

We took some round stock, had me flatten, taper, and then re-round each end. One end got the scrolled handle, then center got squared and twisted, and the other end got a offset hook.

A steak flipper :)

My first real object!

This went much, much better than my first attempt at home the night before, where even getting the fire started was a challenge. What was to be a bottle opener ended up a kind of oddly bent twisted mess.

it was worth the trip across the state, plus the area is beautiful. I wish I could have made Saturday. The weather forecast was much better, but my schedule wasn't. There would have been more smiths there, and more people in general.

Thanks Ted!

11390358_10153312827209336_7518564201242781929_n.jpg

11393075_10153312827099336_5104668235648689091_n.jpg

11430097_10153312827314336_6409219193808550825_n.jpg

You have great timing Bob! I've done demos where weather meant nobody showed and it's a real joy killer to be standing there set up and nobody to watch, ask silly questions, etc. Having someone show up WITH PPE! who wants to take a lash is like a bit of heaven dropped in your lap.

I can guarantee you, Ted was as happy to see you as you were to get the opportunity. Hang onto that steak flipper and your bottle opener attempt, a day will come when you're frustrated a thing isn't working for you that looking back on your early attempts will put things in perspective. You may have to attach a card so you know what your first project was supposed to be but that's okay, the steak flipper is a thing of beauty. The two together  are almost a better teaching tool than most beginner projects.

And about that timing, you might want to apply it to the tool hunt. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.