I Forge Iron

Does this anvil look painted?

I know i keep posting anvils i want to get, i just want to make sure am getting my monies worth. I found this anvil on Craigslist craigslist link removed   Does this anvil look painted to you? I think 775 bucks is a little high since the top face edges are pretty worn and the pritchel and hardie hole are worn and rounded. I was thinking at starting at 500 bucks and go from there or do you think that's to low of a starting price?

Looks painted to me. Either that or they sand blasted it. Looks a bit brighter than I'd expect it to look if it was sand blasted though.

It doesn't look to be in bad shape. I'd love to have a 200 lb Fisher. Price listed is a bit higher than I'd be willing to pay right now, but I bet it will sell pretty quick.

The price is more likely due to the date of manufacture, than size. It also looks like it has a casting flaw in the base between the feet.

I would offer even less than $500 to start. Let them know that you are going to use it, and they may be more willing to come down.

Seth: You have kind of unrealistic benchmarks. Seriously do you CARE if it's painted? The things you SHOULD be wondering about are the pits in the casting and if it passes the bearing test. The face and horn LOOK good and if a bearing rebounds well enough you MIGHT consider bargaining.

If the seller doesn't feel offended by your initial counter offer you offered too much. If it was sandblasted and painted that's a bargaining chip in YOUR favor, s/he's destroyed ANY claim of antique value and you can carry it a bit farther by asking him/er what s/he's trying to HIDE.

I find two highly effective bargaining chips are: Money in hand LESS than the asking price. And only no less effective, often MORE so, being willing to walk away without looking back. Dickering for a car off a lot Deb and I argue over whether we even WANT A car let alone THAT car. If the seller won't come down just tell him/er you have a list of anvils to look at. I'll call you if I can't fine anything. Even wish him/er LUCK getting THAT much.

Just don't get dramatic about any of it, you needed something to do today anyway. Get it in your mind you probably don't really want THAT one on the drive over. Maybe even gripe a LITTLE about how far you had to drive to look at it, traffic's always bad when I have to go look at something. Whatever you do DO NOT let him know you really want an anvil let alone THAT one. You're just taking a look for one in good ENOUGH condition to use. Old doesn't mean a thing to you, you want one to USE. Don't be excited be sad s/he did THAT to any hope of antique value. Commiserate with HIS screw up, I mean HECK YOU weren't going to buy an "antique" and that one isn't even old. Offer to take it off his hands for less than half his asking price if it gets that far. Seriously I'd offer maybe $350 as a walking away, "this is YOUR last chance to rid yourself of THAT thing YOU screwed up," offer.

Frosty The Lucky.

There was a fellow that sand blasted ALL the anvils he offered. Said he wanted folks to view the anvil warts and all with nothing hidden, so they knew exactly what they were getting.

I agree with Frosty, if you want an anvil, painted or not painted should not be an issue. The anvil should preform well either way.  Once you get YOUR anvil, protect it as best you can from both rusting and from Bubba, his 6 pack of courage, and his 20 pound hammer. There are several threads on the site discussing how to protect the metal surface of the anvil.

I wire brushed this one about 30 years ago then let it develop a natural patina from the normal shop environment and the occasional spritz of WD40.  The horn and face are polished from forging.

I agree with everyone else on the paint (or lack thereof) - means nothing to how the anvil will function.

Anvil1.jpg

I'd wire brush my old Peter Wright but I'd be afraid someone would see it and think SHINY-NEW-VALUABLE and there goes my anvil.....   Rust is a theft preventive measure!  :D

​I know I've told you this before but you NEED a dog Darlin. Rescue a pup, the cats will train it up for you. You can have the sweetest dog alive and criminals won't mess with you. They're generally not only lazy and stupid but cowardly too.

Frosty The Lucky.