I Forge Iron

Hello all

AnthonyG

I just signed up after reading a lot of posts on here.

I had a go at forging things years ago with mixed results. I just got the bug again and dragged out a few bits and made some pinch bars from old coil springs. They didn't turn out too well, but I really enjoyed the process.

I've realised a lot of my kit is not ideal so I apologise in advance for all the questions!

Cheers

Anthony

Welcome to the mad house! Do yourself a favor and read the stikies and at least the last few days of posts. The old timers get cranky when the same question is asked 3 times in a 24 hour periud. 

Every one will tell you to get a cold drink and a sack lunch and start reading, they are bing overly optimistic, move your easychair between the bathroom and the kitchen, beter yet move the fridge in to the bathroom!

What was wrong with them?  Improper heat treat?    A hole in the ground and a boulder can be quite acceptable kit; is your kit worse than that?

​Yes it was the heat treating that I messed up, I figured out what I did wrong.

A hole in the ground would have been easier as the anvil was on the floor so I was standing up to get bits out of the forge and then crouching down to work them. It was a good work out for my legs but not the most ergonomic of working areas. I want to get things set up to make life a bit easier on myself.

That or make a stand for your anvil, flat stacked lumber works well and is adjustable. Once you find YOUR working height you'll have been doing it long enough to build a more permanent stand and be a LOT less likely to toss it and build another.

I found it a LOT easier to lift the work from a ground forge and hammer at standing heights than any other arrangements myself. I must admit I've never tried standing in a hole though.

Frosty The Lucky.