I Forge Iron

Anbody want to be my striker? I got a shiny new sledge

I've been needing a new sledge for the occasional person that wants to come and learn and be my striker. As usual I can't afford nice custom tools so I have to make do with what I have. I had a piece of excavator bucket pin from work that was a little over 3 inches in diameter and 5 inches long that weighed about 11 pounds. I decided if I can't afford one I'll try to make one. I reshaped some tongs I had to hold a piece that big, made a drift to match a sledge hammer handle I had, and went at it. It was a lot of work but it was fun too my hydraulic press made the job a lot easier. I go the eye a little crooked but it will work. I'm not sure what steel it was but I tried hardening it in vegetable oil and it didn't get very hard so I used water and it was better. After tempering it I dropped a 1" ball bearing on it and it had around 50 percent rebound so it got hard enough to do what I want it to. When I got done with polishing it it weighed about 10.5 pounds so all in all I'm happy with it.

IMG_1521_2_1.JPG

IMG_1520_1_1.JPG

IMG_1523_4_1.JPG

IMG_1522_3_1.JPG

I wondered about it being 4140 but I wasn't sure about it. As far as making another one I don't really plan on it at this point. For one thing I very rarely have a striker and I don't know if I want to try forging something that big for awhile again