I Forge Iron

Stamp holder

I know this isn't really forging, but it is forging related.  How many of us use stamp character sets and try to hold on to them with pliers, or even fingers while stamping?  Inevitably, a not-quite-perfect hit sends the stamp flying across the shop into corners unknown....

A good stamp holder is wonderful to use, and makes life much better.  When the stamp is held securely in a proper holder, you get a much better strike on the stamp.  A simple stamp holder can be made from some square tubing, nut, bolt, and a welder and drill.  Or if you're so inclined, you can make a pretty fancy stamp holder as well.    This one will hold up to 1/2" square I think....  I put five flutes on this one, just to be different.  :) 

holder.thumb.jpg.21cd3c7fc8741bedf3dac1e

Edited by Black Frog

Pretty slick Froggy.

Do you have a holder for say 5-6 letter stamps if a person wanted to make a word? It'd need a striking surface as well as holding the stamps in position. Hmmmm? There's more slack stamping a long number but words look pretty funky if the letters aren't aligned and evenly spaced.

Frosty.

I do have one,  but I never use it.   The square stamp size is consistent, but the character spacing isn't.   When bunching stamps together, for example  the "I" character leaves too much space on each side. 

I never minded the inconsistencies of single strike stamping.  I think it gives character of a hand-made item.  And with practice your can get pretty darned good at it. 

lettering.jpg

Edited by Black Frog

No need, commercially made stamp sets are cold stamps, unless the steel has been hardened they work a treat. The letters in Froggy's example are cold stamps where his touch mark is a hot stamp. There is too much flat area in his touch mark to be done by hand cold and the wear and tear on the stamp would be significant.

Frosty the . . .

• 2 weeks later...