I Forge Iron

dog gate

Looks good. Only thing I'd be careful of is that the rings aren't sized so the dog can get it's head stuck. Top left corner also looks like it might be a bit weak as it looks like you go almost a 1/3rd of the way across with no link between the upper circles and the lower ones to tie things together.

I think your dog looks a little bummed but s/he'll adjust. I agree, tieing the rings together better would be a good idea better safe than sorry.

Don't worry, the wife will LOVE it. It's part of the deal, they have to love anything we make them. It makes up for the honey do lists that never end you know.

Frosty The Stealthy.

she loved it. Her mother loved it, her sister loved it and both sister in laws did too. i may have some orders coming in lol. can you charge family? It seems plenty sturdy except when the nieces and nephews decided they wanted to hang on it. lol other than that it doesnt bend or bow or sag. if i do another i will tie them in better. this one is already painted so i would have to strip the whole thing down again and redo all the copper wire, im not sure i have it in me right now. The dogs cant get their heads stuck all the rings are either too big or too small. they generally dont go near the gate anyway. it doesnt even have a latch because i didnt want to ruin the banister but they wont even attempt to open it. they know what gates mean and that seems to be enough. our biggest dog can jump high enough to rest his front legs on our 6' rear wall but if you surround him with a 1' tall puppy fence he wont step out of it for anything. If there is no gate though they run up and down the stairs like crazy.

i may have some orders coming in lol. can you charge family? 

Difficult question and a lot of right/wrong answers depending on the individual concerned!:rolleyes: Firstly, you may not wish to become the free 'go to guy' it can be a PITA.

Secondly, family can be a welcome source of business which can be mutually beneficial, if you don't charge properly it often makes them feel bad as they won't want to be taking Advantage of you.

That said and done, family dynamics are a  strange and curious thing and now adding money to the mix?    

Cool. Your big dog sounds like a Great Pyrenees Mountain dog. Some you couldn't keep in a bank vault but the majority wouldn't step over a string.

Thank you Ian, saved me from saying about that very thing. Good thing I was a little slow typing. Ditto Ian.

Frosty The Stealthy.

Sorry, charging family was supposed to be a joke but I appreciate the candid response. Other than maybe paying for the materials I wouldn't charge them. I enjoy doing stuff for family and it would give me the opportunity to try new things and learn. If other people asked about it I would have them tell them they paid for it though. That way I am not doing favors for strangers.  I am just starting out in my metal working hobby and I enjoy new opportunities to try different stuff and experiment. Besides the wife can't get mad at me for spending time in the garage if I am making things for her parents. ;)    Are there any standards out there for figuring out gauge of metal for gates and fences based on length or height? I flew by the seat of my pants on this one but I was curious if there were industry standards.

here is our big dog. Australian cattle dog/ shepherd mix I think.

IMG_20150507_053024307_HDR.jpg

I "Think" breeds are my favorite kind of dog. If that isn't a classic, "What do you want NOW" expression I don't know what is.

If other folk want the same deal you give family tell them they have to give birth to you and they're on the list. Or paint the house, cook and clean for you for 20 years, etc. Shipping is the only thing keeping me from turning my relative's places into displays for my stuff. Lucky folks. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

Family is either free, or charge extra. Maybe a lot extra.

P.S. I agree, has a blue heeler look, with a shepherd bod, plus snout and ears, but what's up with the tiny tiny paws?

Maybe a ballerina dog? A blue toer? A heal and toer? :rolleyes: Wait, you didn't rescue him/er from a Japanese family who bound his/er feet did you? If so, good for you!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 months later...