I Forge Iron

So this is my anvil for now.

Well got this threw together today. Built this stand with a few tool holders on the side. 4 pieces of solid 1 inch pipe supporting it to make it to right height for me. Smoothed the top and rounded two parts but still needs final smoothing. Still not sure why pics upload sideways. They are straight on my phone.

20150509_150313.thumb.jpg.5ec243bac9445c

20150509_150324.jpg

If you extend and gradiate your edge radie it will prove even more useful, leave the ends sharp. A 1" plate can be made into a hardy tool holder, screwed to a stump or welded to a section of pipe. Drill the corners at 3/16 and drill out the center with a 1" drill file or chisel and your set, 3-4 works great. But even a peice of heavy square with 1" inside, collerd will work (think class one reciver/drawbar on a car/truck) thinner plate will work, say 3/8 min on a stump.

I'm doing one that is pretty much what Charles suggested. I've got a piece of heavy wall 4" square tube that I welded a base to, and I'll cut a chunk of 1" thick plate to match the top and drill a 1" hole in it and then heat and drift the plate to 1" square to match the one in my smaller anvil. I'll probably also do one that matches the 1 1/4" hardy that's in my bigger anvil as well when I do the 1" one. That way I can have a tool like my hot cut or bending jig in it and still have the anvil and vise clear when working.

I think the stand turned out great.