I Forge Iron

Small Sickle for clearing the edge of my ditch

I extend the tang on mine.  Creating an extension of the reach that keeps me from bending as much.  They'll spoil you for weedeaters!  Mine have less curve in the main blade area with a good curve at the tip.  The longer reach also increases swing speed.  By keeping a very sharp edge I am able to reach close to buildings and trees or posts sliding my blade into position and then taking a quick snatch cut!  This makes for less blade damage and more safety for the obstacles!  So... some ideas for your next ones!  Forge on!

BTW... my tang extensions are about 20".  Kind of like the shafts on golf clubs.  I bend the shafts at the base of the sickle to get the right cutting angle.  I like a slightly saw toothed edge that grabs the grasses, so I do the honing with a fairly coarse stone or diamond steel... an old way was to leave the scythe hang on the porch overnight and let the dew slightly rust the edge

Bigfootnampa: Because I had read your post on that topic, it originally did have about a 24" haft... then I made the beginner mistake of trying to adjust the angle cold... "TINK" followed by inappropriate for this forum declarations of my stupidity. So, back in the forge to draw out the 2" piece that was left into the tang. Tried to mitigate it some with the long handle.

Ianinsa: Nah, those are supposed to be silver. At least the ones used for important ceremonies.

I have made mine out of steel that is only about 35 points carbon.  I now regard this as a mistake!  In future I'd like to use about 1090 steel.  The kids here have seriously damaged the edges on one that I left in sight... I ground most of the nicks out and it cuts pretty nicely again.  Of course, no steel is going to take abuse without degrading the edge.  Since I prefer a VERY SHARP edge, I think the 1090 type steel tempered back a bit will give me a more durable edge!  I have some old mower blades targeted for making a new batch of scythes!  

One would assume that, Charles... NOT so though according to "the Scythe Book"!  He says that European manufacturers use something close to 1085 or 1090.  I have considerable skill with mine and can swing them pretty close to visible obstacles with amazing accuracy... trouble arises when a steel stake or spiky stone is hidden within a copse of tall grass!  I tilt mine down at heel a bit when swinging close to a sidewalk or some such, so that the blades back edge drags first... mostly works pretty good!

Thomas I would like to have a stock of 5160 but have never run across a particularly enticing source.  I do have a few old leaf springs, but am quite unsure what they are made of.  I've passed on some beauties that must've sprung dump trucks or railroad cars... 1/2" + thick leaves bundled in 300 + pound stacks!!!  I just couldn't handle them!  Been kicking myself since!

I'd go with 5160 and remember that the blade is a consumable.  Of course if you are doing a regular yard vs rough work....

Regular yard work. No brush thicker than 1/4". I used it for about two hours and don't need to re sharpen it yet. So I'm happy with it for what I made it for. 

Now, when I get ready to tackle the back lot... I think I'll follow your advice and find some 5160.

Also want to thank all of you guys who have given me some of your valuable time by posting replies, ideas, suggestions and such.

Shoot, I'm one of those who can take snarky, sarcastic remarks for the humor they're meant to be. (Been known to make a few myself.)