I Forge Iron

Beginner interested in smithing, where to go?

Hello everyone, I'm new to blacksmithing and would love to start somewhere. I'm in Anchorage and I have no equipment, but I'm interested in learning some skills. I'd be willing to pay for fuel or anything needed to start. I just have no clue where to go! Are there any meet ups planned for the future where I can come meet some new people? Thanks in advance for any help.

Well I think the next Alaska Blacksmith Association meeting is scheduled for July. I was at the same point you were just a few months ago and the best thing that ever happened to my Forging dreams was to go to this last month's meeting. Just being able to hang out with people who have been doing this for years, and being helped in the process of making some stuff was a HUGE help. Anyone can come to the meetings, you just have to be a paying member to vote when they get into club business. 

There is a more beginner class that is coming up earlier though in Palmer. On Saturday, May 23rd they are doing a Tong workshop for $50. It should be a very basic beginner course and you will be able to leave with a pair of tongs which you made yourself, as well as meet and talk with some of the best blacksmiths here in the Anchorage/Valley area. 

Frosty is kinda the local guru though. He would say hi but he has had some issues with his account on the forum. I'm sure he'll have some sage advice once he gets that resolved though. 

Edited by AkNewbie

I am planning to do the tong class so that it will have 2-3 sub classes at the same time so it should be good for different skill levels. A true beginner class. A class for those who have made tongs before and want to work on say bolt tongs or offset V jaw tongs. and a class for those who have made tongs and have a powerhammer in their shop. Just to clarify this is not just a beginner thing. Mark

Welcome aboard Wicked Edges, glad to have you. Glad to finally got my computer and associated stuff straightened out so I can communicate.

The May 23rd. tong making workshop with Mark will be an outstanding learning experience. Mark has got to be as good or better at making tongs than anybody I know of. I'll be bringing a forge and at least one anvil so we have a few work stations so guys can do some forging.

The tong workshop will be $50.00 and you'll not only learn how to make tongs but take at least one pair home with you. Tongs are one of THE important tools of the blacksmith. A good fire, anvil and all the hammers in the world aren't a lot of good if you can't hold the work. There isn't ONE pair of tongs that will hold everything either so you'll always be needing a pair so making them instead of buying them is REALLY cost effective. Lastly, making tongs is a series of basic processes you'll need to know anyway so it's a win win all round.

I'll be demoing at "Art on Fire," June 27th. at the Museum on the road to the Wasilla Airport. If you come early and bring your kit I'll show you some basics. I set up in front of the RR engines next to the museum building. Straight in the gate and steady as you go. I don't know how many of our guys will be there but unless something comes up I will. You don't want to miss the iron pour either, it can be pretty spectacular show. With Pat running it it's a good show and there are usually stations available to make open faced molds.

You can PM me if you just want to come out to the valley and build a fire here. I've been known to mess with hot steel and take folk along for the fun.

Frosty The Lucky.