I Forge Iron

Can't Stop Me!

D H B

Greetings DHB,

Just an old boys 2c..  If your tank blocks your tail lights your up for s ticket.. I would also consider the cars exhaust and heat..  Watch your backside..  A small trailer would be best.  

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Edited by Jim Coke

Drove around with the anvil strapped on at about 70mph for about 45 mins while running errands today, just to see how warm the frame / wood / anvil got.  Temps were fine, but I'm probably going to add 3/4" plywood with steel flashing on the back just to make myself feel better.

Good tip on the taillight; I thought of the license plate but not the other.  With the ratchet straps attached to the child safety ISOFIX/LATCH points in the trunk and/or a balanced load, blocking the taillight shouldn't be a problem as the load will stay vertical.

Definitely will want to move to a trailer when I can find a good deal, but the rack was a ton cheaper.  Appreciate the advice!

-dh.

Edited by D H B
added the bit about a trailer

Yup.  Carrier is 500lb limit, tongue weight is 200lb limit.

Carrier is 29lb, wood about 15lb.  50lb tank will never weigh more than 85-90 full.

So!  I'm pretty comfortable with 60+ pound margin.  Thanks for thinking of gotchas, I'm pretty new at this.

All in all, it's my least unsafe option.  If they made a trunk-top rack I definitely would have preferred that, though it would look even more insane than my current setup.

There's a small trailer for sale at a great price nearby, but I tapped out the Fun Budget through about July.

Yeah, I just need to get a truck when the wheels fall off this thing.

Edited by D H B

Ran twin 20# tanks on a spair tire carrier on the back of the subberban I shoed out of for years. Tho it was high enugh that anything tall enugh and hit me hard enugh to rupshure the tanks was likly to do for me any way. Tailgating was significantly certailed! Lol 

harborfreight trailer? Smallest, lightest they got

My wife made me stop putting an anvil on the front passenger side floorboard.  Said she didn't want to deal with the possibility of the truck rolling.  I liked it there as it helped bring the weight forward. I thought of building a bracket to hold it on the front bumper but the current small truck doesn't have a good bumper for that IMNSHO

The small trailer available nearby is from Northern, not HF.  And it's pre-built, and for less than Northern would cost.  But again, ran the fun-money down into the red, so it'll be a while before that's an option again.

And you all are right, people don't seem to want to tailgate me for some reason.... :D