I Forge Iron

Diverter valve?

loktr2002

One time I found a diverter hydraulic valve that was used to stop a cylinders advance by diverting the flow from the pressure side to the return side of the cylinder.  useful as a hydraulic "stop" .  They were made in England but i cant find them anywhere now.  Anybody know what i am talking about?  Where to locate one?

Ben

Where are you located Ben? I can't even offer a useful term for the things without knowing a little about where you are. Over here we call them bypass valves most often, or used to anyway. Any hydraulic shop would understand what you're asking for. That's here though, can't say over there.

Frosty The Lucky.

Okay, we can talk Merican part names. Exactly what do you mean by adjustable stop? Do you mean something to change the flow rate or psi? Something to stop the flow gradually? Or?

What kind of machine are you talking about controlling? Tell me what you want the device to do, eg. crush or roll more slowly or just adjust the feed, pressure, speed?

Frosty The Lucky.

A friend of mine made his press back stop adjustable for doing arches & other stuff

ie = so when the ram is all the way out ,he would adj the back stop with a part in it

= then every time he bent a part it would be the same amount of bended every time, because ram stops @ the same place 

someday I will build one to very useful tool for gate's - railing - pipe work - + +

Frosty what i want to do is make repeatable bends and dimple forming.  I need the piston to stop at the same point each time.  i need the stop to be adjustable so i can control the dimensions of the bend.

I am also planning to use the press to forge with as well.

Ben

Say guys, guessing what a person MIGHT want a piece of equipment to do instead of finding out is not only worthless to the problem, it only causes confusion or worse. So, how about finding out what the OP wants/needs before putting fingers to keys?

Sorry for the digression Ben but having to sift through counter productive things like that gets really old and I'm in a curmudgeonly mood.

So, what you're looking for is a repeatable stroke without electronic controls. Hmmmm, I've never done that but it's a standard industry control for mass production. I have a busy day ahead of me being Easter so I'll have to do some searching and check my books and see. I can think of a couple off the top though I don't know how well they'd work.

A mechanical stop, version one being a kiss block that physically stops the bender, over pressure in the system would kick the return. Or an adjustable arm that would just flick the valve to the return position when the desired distance was traveled.

Both are sort of hokey, redneck engineering but workable if you must. Like I'll say I'll see what I have in my old hydraulics books and check online. Might be tomorrow before I have a real idea though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Frosty my mistake for not communicating clearly!  However i do enjoy and respect your curmudgeonly mood.   I have been reading your posts from the artmetal days and I am consistently surprised at how well you manage not to insult people, especially those who are extremely deserving.

Thank you for taking the time to educate me.

Somewhere I found a post on someone who had a Edwards ironworker that came without the control circuitry.   They used a threeway valve to divert pressure from the ipressure side to the return side.  I dont know how it was plumbed.

I am bending elements for chairs now with a horizontal press using dies.  I am doing this cold in 3/8 and 1/2 hot rolled.  I am able to control what I am doing by releasing the control when the pump boggs down.  I am guessing my press is maybe 15 ton.

My plan is to make a Batson press for general forging and for my chair parts so I can do some forging of the parts as well as bend them and do it hot.  For repeatability I need some type of control.

The edwards ironworker I have is rated at 55 tons, seems quite light in comparison to the Batson plans.

Best regards

Ben Rock

BTW My Deb says ho to your Deb (Rock Farms, Pygora)

Hey Ben, been a while since Artmetal. I've been thinking I was too curmudgeonly earlier today. I really don't want to discourage people from trying to help but it should be . . . . helpful?

Don't worry about getting the question right first go, I ask for clarification and details before answering. It may sound like guesses but I'm not guessing at solutions, I'm guessing at the problem.

Are the bends where you need them when the motor loads up? If so a simple PSI actuated bypass/return will kick the lever to return position and you can get adjustable models. Bypass because excess fluid and psi is passed into the return line bypassing the ram.

The real question being your purpose. What you're describing sounds like a press brake or bender. I'm envisioning a tubing bender working over fitted dies powered by a linear ram rather than a crank arm.

I assume for furniture you need bends of x degrees, not x psi. For that you need a way to limit the travel of the ram rather than it's force. The easy dirty way is with hard stops on the dies so the ram simply hits something it can't move and the pressure return valve trips and the ram returns home.

Position markers to control the valving like a solenoid actuator work better with less wear and tear on the machine but cost more and I don't know about plumbing them in or tweaking them precisely.

I sent the link to your last post to Deb, she's happy to say hi to goaty folk.

Frosty The Lucky.