I Forge Iron

my homemade power hammer

Greetings Ian,

Sure it works but a lot of show and tell. I have lots of other machinery that does most of the every day work.  I built the building just for the line shaft shop and old machinery. Just wated to encourage Sean that it is possible. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Wow, Jim. Definitely some inspiration. I once rented an old farm house that had a revolution era grist mill on it. They eventually tore it down,  but not before I crawled thru it and got to see all the intricacies. Ever since, I've grown obsessed with old machinery and water power. Do you ever give tours? 

• 2 weeks later...

That's purty Jim. Good on ya for making the effort to preserve the old iron and the works. 

I saw an ancient forge get gradually trashed in my area and there was nothing I could do about it. 

Finally about 10 years after the line shafts with built up wooden pulleys were put outside the owner of the outfit 

found a card I had left there and called me. By then all was lost to the weather. Crying shame. For years I stopped by there and left cards for him

and not a one of the workers or managers ever bothered to relay them to him. 

Belt driven powerhammer, drill presses, grinders and hack saws, old mills and lathes all scrapped. Beautiful stone building too and on a lake no less. 

Combined with my collection it could have been a decent working museum and on a pretty busy road too. 

Sometimes the best you can do isn't good enough. 

Now I am watching the same thing happen at an old nail works (the oldest in the country). The town took possession and the only the Good Lord knows what direction the place is

headed but it isn't good.