I Forge Iron

propane delivery/plumbing

samw1

Hey all, working on a new burner set up for my forge and am having some issues with the propane plumbing. I used 1/4 inch copper tube and compression fittings to hook it all together to the valve leading to the gas hose. Its all leaking like a sive. What options do I have as to hooking up two burners to the same line? Am I using the wrong fittings? Is there a manifold I can buy that will allow me to have a little play in the placement?  Thanks in advance. 

20150308_171030.jpg

20150308_171027.jpg

I use flare fittings and they don't leak enough to make a bubble. I also use enough copper tubing to make a couple coils like a spring so any bumps can dissipate through the coils and not nudge the fittings. The first pic is my forge and the second is Ralph Sproul's. We both coiled the tubing for the same reason.

PhotoMoto_0042.thumb.jpg.5dc1fdcea1beb48

Ralph_S._forge.thumb.jpg.83ef34b79370d74

By "compression" fittings are you referring to the ones that use ferrules over the tubing that compressed into the female coupler and then sweged on the tubing? Unless I was mistaken even a bit of dust can cause them to leak but I heard that years ago.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

What about using gas hose line? We have 1/4 high pressure hose at work and all the fittings. Under 100 psi they don't leak and unless they get red hot steel on em they don't melt and even then only a little. A gent I work with told me I wont have much play in the way of moving the tube around. I  want to go tubing style but I don't have a fixed point for the end of the fittings so the changing of tanks/tuning of burners will make them move a lot. 

I use compression fittings quite a bit at work and home. I have some tips for making leak tight connections.

1. Seat the ferrules on the tubing using a spare fitting before making your final connection. When the ferrules are tightened on the tubing for the first time they deform the tubing and lock into place. By using a spare fitting mounted in a vise to lock the ferrules you can ensure that the tubing is fully inserted into the fitting and squared up properly.

2. Don't over tighten the fittings. Over tightening the fittings can deform the tubing and ferrules to the point where their sealing surface is distorted. Finger tighten the nut and then turn with a wrench about a turn and a quarter.

3. Avoid bends close to the fittings. The tubing is distorted close to the bend and might not allow the ferrules to seat properly. Depending on what you used to bend the tubing and the size the tubing this can vary.

Hope this helps.

Steve