I Forge Iron

Spear Head HELP

OK to lay it out I have forged welded 5160 bits to mild steel for more then a few axe heads and blade edges . I also made a billet of lumber band some kind of saw blade and some kind of wire in to a random twist for a friend to do stock removal dagger looked fine . Question is  rail spike mild steel rebar (sucker rod i think) what would look good together for a spear head . There will be a 5160 or some other decent blade edge steel around it . blade will be 12 to 16 inch plus the socket so 20 t0 30 overall. just after thoughts before I do something to silly  .  Think I found an ash tree to split for shafts .

What techniques are you going to use to develop and expose the pattern? What pattern are you shooting for? do you want subtle or high contrast?

Have you played with modeling clay? Different colors in layers then do your manipulation and expose the layers with a wire knife. While not perfect it's a good technique to help develop patterns and show which angles to use to expose it.

I don't know what to say about a random stack of scrap for patterns. Sounds like a crap shoot to me.

Frosty The Lucky.

Chance, 

Using the tebar is not a good idea. It's an unknown and frequently has all sorts of impurities in the mix. You could forge out the billet and have the blade fail because of the unknown content. Just my 2 cents. 

Peter 

Rebar I am not fond of but i was listing what I had on hand . I am sorry if I did list every thing needed . The enchant will be home made vinegar . I would like it to be  say a medium contrast in the gray ranges . the pattern  i would like is straight down the middle ridge straight with twist raped around it as the next layer then twist around that fowled by 5160 as the blade. if this helps    5160{t{ts{s}ts}t}5160   . i will have to go out and get some clay and try it out . after every thing is said crap shoot is ok but a known waist  of time  i am not up for .would mild steel and RRspike contrast .

NO, not enough difference in C content, RR spikes marked HC have a max allowable C content around 35pts.

If you want predictable results just buy known steels it's easier and cheaper in the long run.

Frosty The Lucky.

Were I going to do this, I'd spend some time in the bladesmithing sections, knives, swords, axes, hawks, etc. of IFI pick a blade I like, composition looks wise that is and use that combination of alloys. There are guys posting here who WRITE legibly in the patterns of their blades.

Pick blade worthy alloys with contrast you like and you don't need to mess with welding in a bit. Seriously, we've had some world renown master bladesmiths post spectacular pics in just the last week with the alloys they used and you're . . . asking?

Have you read the bladesmithing section? I'm not a bladesmith guy and have a much better understanding of the speciality. Of course I have years of experience and reading behind me. I'd like to suggest before asking general questions looking for specific answers you spend some time reading the sections offered here. Pull up a comfy chair, pack a lunch and something to drink you have probably a few days worth of reading just in the bladesmithing section of IFI.

There are a number of benefits to doing your own research and NO just asking a crowd questions is NOT research. Doing some real research will not only give you the opportunity to absorb some knowledge so you can ask GOOD questions it'll give you a hope of understanding the answers.

I'll sign off this thread now before I REALLY get carried away. I'm not taking shots at you and certainly don't want you to stop smithing to take up reading. I'd just like to see you setting yourself up for success in the best way this old fart knows. Research and experimentation.

Frosty The Lucky.

No no thank you for what you have past on to me I have looked around maybe not enough yet have did lots or reading . I am sure it is on here and I have just missed it . I am looking to use soft steel in the center that will contrast . I will do some more searching and reading on here and maybe just go waist some time and coal and see what happens . worst that can happen  is it fails and I learn something . again thank you