I Forge Iron

Stopping a Burn

pintail1

Recently acquired a Centaur Forge with blower and foot pedal (see photo) together with a Hay Budden (~250#) , Peter Wright 1.1.24...I've also acquired a few tongs and hammer and am looking forward to my first time moving metal (also planning to take classes at Hannaway Blacksmith Shop in Lincoln, RI).  After reading several of articles I think I have a pretty good idea of how to start a burn:  how do you determine how much fuel to add to the forge (I think I'll figure hat out) but how do folks stop the burn to conserve fuel.  Bought 80# of nut coal at Cranston Coal (Cranston, Rhode Island).

Have burned a woodstove for years and now how to manage that so I always have a good bed of coals in the AM: have just never wanted to "stop" a burn.

Thanks

Centaur Forge.tiff

F2.jpg

F4.jpg

Hey! I I have a forge just like yours. I bought it when I lived in an apartment so I could work anywhere I could set up. Is yours a 12volt DC also? Just pull the coals away from you air source and all is good.  Your forge is the only other one like mine I have seen.

Haven't fired it up:  the weather in the Northeast has been very uncooperative. Not sure on the power, have been spending all my time clearing snow, going to work,

and finishing an addition (where the forge will live). So have not looked that carefully.

I wrote to Centaur and they provided me a brochure page showing the forge; I have attached.  They had no other info.

How is it to work with?

Centaur Forge.tiff