I Forge Iron

New to smithing in Burleson TX

Diminishi

I figured I should make my official introductions.  I am 33 years old and from Burleson TX.  I am actually a Land Surveyor professionally, but I have had a life long love and interest in blacksmithing.  I would eventually like to make knives and other bladed objects, but honestly I am just as excited about making my first set of tongs as I am anything else.  I am set to buy a 2' piece of rail road track this weekend for my very beginner version of an anvil, and actually got my grandfather's old cast iron dutch oven to turn into a forge.  I know it is a bit rudimentary, however I need to start somewhere.  I will have a hard time convincing my wife that I need to put significant money into this 'hobby' until I can show her that I am gaining skill.

I guess that pretty much sums me up.  We have 4 kids between us, 3 cats (all hers, trust me), and maybe a dog in the future.  See you all in the forums!

Well come to IFI mate. There is literally a ton of good information on here from blokes that know what they are doing, your at the right place. There is no need to sink a lot of $$ into this as a hobby, the only trouble is your wife will want you to make stuff for the house :). Good luck mate.

Spend as many hours as you can reading here on IFI.  Use the Search tools to find topics.  You will run out of time before you run out of information contained on this site.  Welcome.  There are many smiths in Texas.  I know we in the East are spoiled by how fast we can get around to events, but I am sure you will find other smiths and events somewhere in your area.

Jim,

Yesterday it was 36.  Today it was 60+.  The beauty of Texas is that if you don't like the weather it will change in a day or two.  Except in the Summer... Which tends to be from May to October.  Then life is miserable!

Thanks to everyone for the welcome.  I have been doing nothing but studying over the past 3 weeks.  Anvils, Hammers, Tong types, forge construction, etc.  The beauty of the internet.  Last night I found myself instead of watching TV, watching 2.5 hours of blacksmithing videos on youtube.  I am incredibly excited to begin this journey in life.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you stand the rail on end a little smoothing and a radius on the edge and it'll make a fine anvil. You can then do a little grinding on the web and flanges to make a hot cut, butcher, fuller, etc. It will have a much better depth of rebound hitting it lengthwise so it'll move metal more efficiently. It isn't a must way to mount the rail, it's just a darned effective way.

We like pics too, the more the better.

Frosty The Lucky.