I Forge Iron

I need an anvil

Remember that you are really only renting the anvil, basically for free for as long as you own it.  Someday in the future you will be able to sell it probably for more than you paid for it.  What kind of work do you plan to do?  You will probably want to seek out an anvil on the heavier end of your range, unless you plan on only doing light stock or jewelry work.

Remember that you are really only renting the anvil, basically for free for as long as you own it. Someday in the future you will be able to sell it probably for more than you paid for it. What kind of work do you plan to do? You will probably want to seek out an anvil on the heavier end of your range, unless you plan on only doing light stock or jewelry work.

Well my limit for the price is 125 I would love to get an 100lb-150lb anvil but I just don't have the funds necessary

Well my limit for the price is 125 I would love to get an 100lb-150lb anvil but I just don't have the funds necessary

Last anvil I bought was $1.00/lb. Take your time, save up more money, lower your standards (in terms of appearance face flatness) but definitely try for 100 lbs or more. 

You are in the right part of the country to find anvils.  Keep you eye on CraigsList, EBAY and tell everyone you know what you looking for.  You never know where one will turn up.  And make sure you keep your cash ready.  Maybe try to add a bit to the pot every week till you find what you are looking for.

What are you trying to do?   Meanwhile go to the local public library (or youtube) and watch the National Geographic's "Living Treasures of Japan" section on the swordsmith and note carefully what he is using as an anvil.  If you plan to do blades do you really need to pay for an anvil that is a general purpose one?

Asking blacksmiths is probably the worst place to find a cheap anvil as we all know their worth and tend to covet them; though you might find someone willing to loan you one...I just made a 6 month loan of an anvil and postvise to one of my students out here.  Asking folks who are not trying to sell anvils for a profit or use them will generally get you better prices.

What do yo consider an anvil? In reality an anvil is anything hard and heavy you can beat iron on. Lots of steel stuff around if you keep you eyes open and I'm not even going to mention the most common field expedient folk use.

Do you have enough experience to know how to use the horn? They are pretty recent additions and pretty unnecessary if you know the tricks. One of my favorites was an axle buried flange up on a sand bar but have used whatever was handy at one time or another.

I'm not trying to discourage you but your $125 will buy you a lot better kit than just an anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.

You are in the right part of the country to find anvils. Keep you eye on CraigsList, EBAY and tell everyone you know what you looking for. You never know where one will turn up. And make sure you keep your cash ready. Maybe try to add a bit to the pot every week till you find what you are looking for.

I already have a lot of money more than $150 so if one comes up that I really want them I can buy it and some time in the spring I'll just start driving around and looking at garage sales or seeing if people have them lying around to try and buy them

What do yo consider an anvil? In reality an anvil is anything hard and heavy you can beat iron on. Lots of steel stuff around if you keep you eyes open and I'm not even going to mention the most common field expedient folk use.

Do you have enough experience to know how to use the horn? They are pretty recent additions and pretty unnecessary if you know the tricks. One of my favorites was an axle buried flange up on a sand bar but have used whatever was handy at one time or another.

I'm not trying to discourage you but your $125 will buy you a lot better kit than just an anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't know how to smith at all this will be my first anvil so I would like to get one that is in good condition and that has a horn and hardy hole at least

I don't know how to smith at all this will be my first anvil so I would like to get one that is in good condition and that has a horn and hardy hole at least

So you're not going to do anything till you find the "right" anvil eh? It's pretty obvious you don't know how to smith and you're making a fundamental beginner's mistake waiting till you get a "real" anvil.

The tools don't do anything. What does the work is the mind of humans and their thumbs all the finest most perfect tools in the world are just highly refined dirt.

If that's too esoteric for you try this. Use your brain, find something that will work and start learning to blacksmith, a "real" anvil will come along sooner or later. In the mean time you'll be LEARNING how to blacksmith and maybe making doodads you can sell and earn enough to buy a nicer anvil.

If you can't improvise you're going to have a really hard time learning this craft. Don't worry though, the "I gotta have the perfect tools to learn this (whatever) craft" is common to human beings, Most of us have gone down that road, at best it's only a waste of time and worst . . . Nevermind.

Frosty The Lucky.

So you're not going to do anything till you find the "right" anvil eh? It's pretty obvious you don't know how to smith and you're making a fundamental beginner's mistake waiting till you get a "real" anvil.

The tools don't do anything. What does the work is the mind of humans and their thumbs all the finest most perfect tools in the world are just highly refined dirt.

If that's too esoteric for you try this. Use your brain, find something that will work and start learning to blacksmith, a "real" anvil will come along sooner or later. In the mean time you'll be LEARNING how to blacksmith and maybe making doodads you can sell and earn enough to buy a nicer anvil.

If you can't improvise you're going to have a really hard time learning this craft. Don't worry though, the "I gotta have the perfect tools to learn this (whatever) craft" is common to human beings, Most of us have gone down that road, at best it's only a waste of time and worst . . . Nevermind.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm saying I'm not looking for perfection and it's way to cold to start anything where I live right now that's why I said winter I'll start on a steel block if I have to which is technically an anvil just with out the horn or hardy hole. In the spring time thats when I'll start the actual smithing and crafting

While you are doing your anvil search, remember to also try to find a post vise, various tongs with different shaped ends, various sized hammers, and steel stock.  You also have to decide what you are going to use for heat:  Coal forge, gas forge, torch, or something else?  It does not take alot to get started, but you need some basic items to get started.  There are many smiths around your area.  Northeast Blacksmith's Assoc have meets now and then.  Try to find out when and go and meet local people.  Most members are willing to help someone get started.  Watching and being involved goes a long way beyond reading a book. 

You might try putting up some flyers at your church (and other local churches): fellowship halls usually have notice boards.

You might also know of some local shops that have the same.  I was looking for an old engine cart (to hold hit & miss engines) that are even harder to find

than anvils (price per pound engine cart to anvil would be about 4-5 to 1) and placed postings at the church and also the town butcher shop we use...I received several

calls as the result and was able to find what I wanted, in fact a few of them, for pennies.

Make sure to add a picture of an anvil:  if someone has one taking up room in their garage, shed or barn its more than likeley useless to them, they won't know the value,

and you can make yourself a good deal.

I'm new to smithing but my son has done some at his school (techical HS) (which started me down this path):  I've found some good equipment a good prices.

When I first started welding I didn't need the perfect welder but I needed a welder:  its easy to say "make do" with whats at hand, and if you have lost of experience

that works.

Hope you find a great anvil!

You might try putting up some flyers at your church (and other local churches): fellowship halls usually have notice boards.

You might also know of some local shops that have the same.  I was looking for an old engine cart (to hold hit & miss engines) that are even harder to find

than anvils (price per pound engine cart to anvil would be about 4-5 to 1) and placed postings at the church and also the town butcher shop we use...I received several

calls as the result and was able to find what I wanted, in fact a few of them, for pennies over what I would have paid on E-bay (they also don't ship well or cheaply).

Make sure to add a picture of an anvil:  if someone has one taking up room in their garage, shed or barn its more than likeley useless to them, they won't know the value,

I'm new to smithing but my son has done some at his school (techical HS) (which started me down this path):  I've found some good equipment a good prices.

When I first started welding I didn't need the perfect welder but I needed a welder (not two rocks and a coat hanger):  its easy to say "make do" with whats at hand, and

if you have lots of experience that works pretty well, though  I'd agree its not the tool but the person using the tool that makes the difference.  When I fisrt started rebuilding engines I thought I needed the right tool to remove (and replace) cylinder rings;  I learned from someone with alot of experience that the best tool to use in that situation was an old shop rag - grab one end of the ring with one end of the cloth and the other end with the orther end of the cloth, pull apart and remove...that's experience. I didn't know the shop rag was a "tool at hand" but learned.

Hope you find a great anvil and I'd agree with the earlier posters, keep building up the pile of pennies!

You might also know of some local shops that have the same. I was looking for an old engine cart (to hold hit & miss engines) that are even harder to find
calls as the result and was able to find what I wanted, in fact a few of them, for pennies over what I would have paid on E-bay (they also don't ship well or cheaply).

Make sure to add a picture of an anvil: if someone has one taking up room in their garage, shed or barn its more than likeley useless to them, they won't know the value,

I'm new to smithing but my son has done some at his school (techical HS) (which started me down this path): I've found some good equipment a good prices.

When I first started welding I didn't need the perfect welder but I needed a welder (not two rocks and a coat hanger): its easy to say "make do" with whats at hand, and
if you have lots of experience that works pretty well, though I'd agree its not the tool but the person using the tool that makes the difference. When I fisrt started rebuilding engines I thought I needed the right tool to remove (and replace) cylinder rings; I learned from someone with alot of experience that the best tool to use in that situation was an old shop rag - grab one end of the ring with one end of the cloth and the other end with the orther end of the cloth, pull apart and remove...that's experience. I didn't know the shop rag was a "tool at hand" but learned.

Hope you find a great anvil and I'd agree with the earlier posters, keep building up the pile of pennies!

Thanks for this advice and I will certainly take it into use

While you are doing your anvil search, remember to also try to find a post vise, various tongs with different shaped ends, various sized hammers, and steel stock. You also have to decide what you are going to use for heat: Coal forge, gas forge, torch, or something else? It does not take alot to get started, but you need some basic items to get started. There are many smiths around your area. Northeast Blacksmith's Assoc have meets now and then. Try to find out when and go and meet local people. Most members are willing to help someone get started. Watching and being involved goes a long way beyond reading a book.

I was thinking of coal as my forge source and I'll definitely look into the northeast blacksmiths assoc

Little Guy-

I'm in Rehoboth Ma, not too far away from you by Texas standards but light years away by Massachusets standards.

In Wilbraham I'd bet there are 50 anvils within a twenty (more like a ten or five) mile radius from you:  most of them are:

1 coveted by their owner

2 valued and used on occasion by their owner

3 seen as a potential source of income by their owner, and

4 some small amount just taking up space, a pain in the neck to move, and always in the way.

Find someone in category 4 and they may pay you to take it away!

(Not likely but one can always hope) at least you may get one on the cheap.

Little Guy-

I'm in Rehoboth Ma, not too far away from you by Texas standards but light years away by Massachusets standards.

In Wilbraham I'd bet there are 50 anvils within a twenty (more like a ten or five) mile radius from you: most of them are:

1 coveted by their owner
2 valued and used on occasion by their owner
3 seen as a potential source of income by their owner, and
4 some small amount just taking up space, a pain in the neck to move, and always in the way.

Find someone in category 4 and they may pay you to take it away!
(Not likely but one can always hope) at least you may get one on the cheap.

I know just what you mean thats the kinda person I'm exactly looking for haha