I Forge Iron

Forged a few top tools

I forged a few top tools last week. One slitting hammer from 1" 4140, one half inch top fuller from 1.4" 4140 and one 5/8" top fuller from 1.4" 4140. I didn't get the cheeks drawn out quite like I wanted but I think they should work quite well. Used my belt grinder to make them a little prettier.

post-26249-0-49865500-1424095557_thumb.j

post-26249-0-68778100-1424095578_thumb.j

Agreed Jim they would look better in my shop too;-) I need to get around to making top tools... They do look good as they are, a little more cheek would be nicer, but they look good as they are.

Traditionally a top tool had a smaller eye than a hammer... You were supposed to use a lighter handle, just incase the striker missed, or glanced off and hit the handle or kicked the tool out of your hand. It also left more mass in the area where the force was being transferred through, less likely to deform the eye...

Very nice work.  I've been tinkering with the idea of forging some top tools, but never quite seem to get around to it.  There really can be too many irons in the fire!

Anyhow, you're work looks great as-is and I wouldn't be too quick to take them to a grinder.  Give 'em a wipe down with an oily rag and stick a handle on them, I say.