I Forge Iron

Hot cut hardy from an auger tooth

Co worker gave me an auger tooth he found. I made a hot cut out of it. My first attempt at forge welding was to get those pegs together and I think it came out pretty good. Tapered the edge, and heat treated in oil. Works good so far, fits better on a diagonal.

I haven't  posted much lately but I have been in the process of building a shop. I basically got it built just laying out the inside now. You can kind of see my forge that I just got finished in one of those pics. Just rigged a dimmer switch to the fan this week. One day soon I'll have to post some pics of the forge and my new shop.

Member Kette commented on the pic in my gallery about the hot cut possibly damaging the hardy hole by using it diagonally. Should I try to upset it more at the base and try to make fit the entire hardy better or sit flatter on the anvil? When I insert it in at 90 degrees its just a little too narrow and has alot of slop.  I used it, and it cuts just fine and wasn't hard to make, but I dont want to damage my anvil in the long run. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...