I Forge Iron

Anvil care question from a newcomer

7 minutes ago, Off Grid said:

Yep, that's what it smells like, would johnsons paste wax work for metal preservative as described earlier in this thread?

Yes, it's basically the same as the melted parrafin/turpentine mixture (or behaves similarly enough as to not make much difference). 

7 minutes ago, Off Grid said:

what if a guy mixed in some BLO?

Yes, adding boiled linseed oil will give you a slightly thicker, more durable film. Do NOT use raw linseed oil, as it will not dry.

Sure, lots of guys use Johnson's paste wax and I like Trewax carnuba paste wax.

Bees wax is popular too but it stays too tacky for my taste. Trewax applied hot gets into all the nooks and crannies then cools hard and durable, it's what they polish bowling alleys with. Another brand of carnuba paste wax is "Bowling Ally Wax."

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok, I made a recipe/mix tonight, I melted 1lb of bees wax, which came to 1 quart, in a double boiler, I added 1quart of turpentine and 1 quart of boiled linseed oil. I melted it all together and went out in the garage and started wire wheeling one of my anvils, I decided to start with the 150 lb anvil, wish I hadn't, I turned it over on its side and it proceeded to slip of my stand and onto my foot, I am now sitting in the ER waiting for the X-ray results.

will update the results of the new brew I made when I get a chance.

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

None of my allies bowl; they play horseshoes. 

Oh spare me, I was close.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Off Grid said:

Ok, I made a recipe/mix tonight, I melted 1lb of bees wax, which came to 1 quart, in a double boiler, I added 1quart of turpentine and 1 quart of boiled linseed oil. I melted it all together and went out in the garage and started wire wheeling one of my anvils, I decided to start with the 150 lb anvil, wish I hadn't, I turned it over on its side and it proceeded to slip of my stand and onto my foot, I am now sitting in the ER waiting for the X-ray results.

will update the results of the new brew I made when I get a chance.

You DO realize all our talk about dropping anvils on ourselves is joking! Now we have to start calling you Coyote.

In all seriousness we really hope it's not badly injured. I'm sure it's going to be a splendid shade of black and blue but no worse. Okay?

Oh great, there's another handle. Hobblong! It's a limp one I know, sorry.

I don't take the accident lightly but I am trying to lighten your mood. It shouldn't hurt your smooshed foot to laugh a little.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok, amazingly enough no broken bones but very swollen and black and bue, also made a hole in the top. I had turned it on its side to wire wheel and it slipped off. I do feel like a cartoon. I have had a broken toe when a draft horse stepped on it while shoeing it a while back and I also broke a toe fencing years ago so I was pretty sure it was broken this time also.

I couldn't sleep so I went ahead and set my small 35# pound Columbia by the fire for a couple hours and heated it up, I had wire wheeled it last week, I went ahead and coated it with the new brew I made and will wipe off the excess tonight and reassemble tonight.

Can we get away with yelling HEY Festus! at him John?

You know you are in trouble when the folk at the emergency room start calling you by name. EMS checks in regularly and doesn't have to ask directions if you call. 

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Lou L said:

Just take the punt and go for Hera, Hepheastus's mom.  She rejected him for being crippled when he was born.  Don't tell the parents the second part.

No we shouldn't get too into the rest of the story. It's a family site Juno.

Frosty The Lucky.

My daughter is quite up on the dysfunctional family life of the various pantheons already.  So during the ride to the border I discussed various other possibilities with my wife:  First name: Lady, Middle name: Macbeth---downchecked, Desdemona---downchecked, (Iago for a boy---downchecked with extreme prejudice as was Titus Andronicus), Ophelia---downchecked.  Lots of no starters: Banquo, Fleance, Rosencrantz, Guildenstern,...

My wife is a big fan of the Odyssey and suggested Penelope, (but not Helen oddly enough)  I'd suggest Jason but with the next kid up being Jameson it would be too close...

The best character in Homer's poems, in my opinion of course, is Hector.  He was an example of what the rest of them should have been.  His son, Astyanax, was symbolic of the love a child engenders from a parent.  My favorite scene in all of Homer is when Hector walks in to visit his family and his son is afraid of him because of his helmet.  He takes off his helmet and Astyanax beams when he realizes it is his father.  That scene sums up the whole story to me....thematically anyway.  Point is, Hector or some version of Astyanax would be excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to have missed this thread's continuation. 

The feminine version of Hephaestus would be either Hephaesta or Hephaestia. 

The passage with Hector, Andromache, and Astyanax is great; I'm also particularly fond of the scene where Death and Sleep convey the body of Sarpedon to his home country. 

On 4/22/2017 at 8:12 PM, JHCC said:

Sorry to have missed this thread's continuation. 

The feminine version of Hephaestus would be either Hephaesta or Hephaestia. 

The passage with Hector, Andromache, and Astyanax is great; I'm also particularly fond of the scene where Death and Sleep convey the body of Sarpedon to his home country. 

Thus the birth of the great idiom: "he took a dirt nap".