I Forge Iron

Anvil manufacturing

I have had this question for some time so I guess I'll just post it here and see what comes. Back in the day anvils were forged on large equipment from several pieces as I understand. Was there quite a bit of variation From anvil to anvil, manufactured during this time, in the same factory, and in the same "run"? Or were they all pretty much the same exact shape and weight. I guess what I am wondering is were they all uniform, exactly the same weight and shape? Or did they vary considerably as with most any other forged item?
Thanks, Caintuck

In the days of wrought iron bodies made up of several pieces, and then capped with a tool steel face plate, everything was a one-off. Different employees at different times and different forges within the shop were working within certain parameters, but without the expectations of fine manufacturing tolerances that are standard practice today. If you ordered a custom anvil, you had to be happy with +/-5%. The anvil was placed on a scale only after all clean up was finished. There was so much variation, that the weight numbers were only stamped on with the maker's logo.  This is how the idea of anvils being priced by the pound came about. 

Cast iron body anvils were generally within a narrow range in each run of castings. Fishers, for instance are marked with a 20 for 200+/- pounds.

Both forging and pattern-making were as much an art as a science.

Forged anvils from one manufacturer had an amazing similarity in shape.  These factories made many anvils every day.  The workers were highly skilled in making them very consistent from one anvil to another.  They were NOT consistent in weight.  They did not try to be.  Different customers wanted different sizes.  The weight markings on the anvils were done when the anvil was finished, indicating the finished size.  A customer could buy whatever size they wanted.  Forged anvils from various manufacturers have turned up from around 10 lb to 800+ lbs.  Most common are in the 100 to 400 lb range.

What amazes me is that for many years, these were made with water powered trip hammers.   Later they used steam and air powered hammers.  The materials changed over the years too.  As better and larger iron and steel stock was available, what the anvils were made out of change with the times.

Yes, there are some very minor deviations between anvils of a similar brand, but not much.  These were highly skilled craftsmen.  What was different is when a custom anvil was ordered.  They had the skills to vary the shape as the customer ordered.

I wonder if they used the old steelyard scales sand there was some variability.  Notice that none are marked with ounces?

I don't recall owning an anvil that was marked *higher* than the stamping though.   Most of mine have been well within 5% of the stamped weight---it would take a lot of wear to drop one several pounds down so I vote for original manufacturing scale variability

I've been keeping a database of anvil manufacturers that have weight, total length, height, face width, and face length for each make.  It is very helpful when looking at anvils and someone doesn't have any idea what weight it is, but can provide measurements for me. 

What I'm surprised at when looking at all the numbers is the range of dimensions for very similar weights from the same manufacturer. 

Trenton seems to have the most range from what I've recorded.  

For example,  Some Trentons in my list; a 23" 85# anvil as well as a 23" 134# anvil.  A 30.5" 155# anvil and a 30" 284# anvil. 

The heights and face widths make up the weight differences, but for a given weight the range can be large.

Of course the cast anvil makers are usually far more consistent than forged.