I Forge Iron

Opel kadett car blower

natkova

Most 12v transformers are a bit small, a computer powersuply is probably better. Build a set of bellows out of a couple of inner tubes and be dun, lol i haye to admit my favorite setup is a manual matrice/boat inflater that looks like a giant bicycle pump. Quiet and no plugs, lol

I tought to do it like this.

44140b862d0384b42cf5f6df19fbffac.jpg

I heard that i can wire up something with car blower and this deviice.

About your bellows sugestions i made 2 bellows  but canvas  and leather was not too  heavy and top chamber don't open as it should so i just decided to try with this car blower it dont take place like bellows and i dont need to worry if will top chamber open or not.

The transformer may be a bit light. Watts is amps times voltage. So at 12volts your looking at 1.5 amps, tho 3 amps at 6v might survive. You do have the advantage of different voltages (fan speeds) as the resisters induce a voltage drop . I would really look at Something in the 1200 watt or 10 amp neighborhood. Tho of the top of my head i don't know the amperage the blower draws, electric motors draw more at startup or under load. It will draw much more electricity in free are than it will when it is hooked up because of the restriction from the pipe and fuel. If the transformer Is inexpensive, so as not to cause you hardship ( i mean no insult but I don't know how expensive it is there and what your income is) try it, if it smokes the transformer you know it wont work, tho the transformer should have a fuse or fusible link to prevent it from overheating and becoming a fire hazard.
As to the bellows, try restricting the outlet and/or enlarging the inlet and outlet valves. If the bellows is designed for a 1.25cm outlet and you have a 2.5cm one that is a huge difference as it is a difference of nearly 4x the outlet area.

I think i will figure out something first was to make firepot and try blower i have some leftower bricks, than i need to build good firepot that have it height and it is stabile . I noticed that everything is not in bellows /blower  it is something with the firepot too and chimney. Chimney helps a lot and if firepot is good sealed air won't escape from blower.

Experiment with pipe and dirt. 1 1/2" (3.75 cm?) pipe is a common recomdation for a large side Blast,3/4" (.80cm?) pipe for small rivet forges.
But playing with bricks and mud will let you figure out what your bower will do befor building a forge. Even a bottom blast can be fabed up to see how big and deap.

Hi Natkova!

I can't give you any real suggestion in this topic but this: try to find one of the local "old school" mechanics/turners/machinists and make friends with them. Those guys really know all the tricks and you can learn very useful things only by talking to them. I say this assuming that there have been the same kind of circumstances in your country as in ours - which caused that every good technician had to be able to build a washmachine from tank parts and vice versa.

and

The Opel is a little two door hunk of junk sold all over East Europe and the old Soviet bloc by GMC. If I remember right, it was a german company, named after the diesel guy, and GMC bought em out to prevent more cheap economy imports over here back in the 80s. Probably be tough to find a Chilton for it. They were as ubiquitious as blue and white Toyota bongo trucks in Iraq.

Hi Nob,

:D  :D I really like the difference of perspectives, and you sure painted a picture!

Bests to All!

Gergely

• 3 weeks later...