I Forge Iron

i found this at a garage sale, and considered it because i could see the atha mark on it.

i was *going* to forge it into a straight-pein hammer, but now i think it's a cold cut, and i should just leave it (now that i've reground the striking face and the 60 deg cutting bevel.

is it a cold cut?  what's the thickest metal i'm wanting to cut with it, or is it just for marking cold metal?

thanks.

bill

post-40610-0-43323600-1417650582_thumb.j

post-40610-0-59632300-1417650589_thumb.j

Yep, that's a cold cut, why are they always so rusty?

I use mine to put a nick in a cold 1/2 inch bar on all four sides so I can break it without too much of a bend in the bar.

Always seems to notch when I try it with round stock, should probably harden it.

I'm interested in how that's going to work Bill, long strips off WI stock. It might work, but i've only ever used a cold cut on bar stock.

is that one of kirk's handles?  i'm handling mine tonight with one of his.  that's a near identical match to my cold cut, talk about rust!

the wagon rim is 7/16" thick, and i'm taking 1/2" cuts (to make "square" stock).  i've got it marked, and will put it in the vise so the marks are at level, then use the top of the vise as a registering surface and have at it.  4 lb sledge.  i am hoping the propensity of wrought to split will work to my advantage, and that it actually cuts like wood would in the same position, long-grain.

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen many (and have several) of these with railroad initials stamped in them. Until the fairly recent development of portable cut off saws railroad workers would perform in the field repairs by scoring a rail around its circumference and then braking it in two. They would then use a hand crank drill to drill the holes for the splicing bar and then after hours of other back braking work pump themselves home on a hand car. That was a day's work!!!!  If a rail can be cut with it I'm sure it can handle whatever you throw its way!

I am not quite there, sjs, I had Christmas presents to make, and am finishing my vise refurb (just have to get the spring tension right and build a temporary mount). I made my wife a little heart-hook to tie her over.

I may not speak for all of us but I think telling us you TIE your wife over hooks is a bit too much info. Sure it's nice you made a special heart hook to tie her over but . . . Then again it makes me wonder if manacles just don't do it anymore?

Sorry I just couldn't resist funnin with the typo. All the best to you and yours.

Frosty The Lucky.