I Forge Iron

Thermal Barrier for Wood Walls

Thereing

I'm setting up a shop in a wood walled garage. The gas forge will be far enough from the walls to be safe from the actual flames, but I am worried about the radiant heat.

What kind of thermal barrier can I install to prevent the heat from damaging the wall?

I use a piece of sheet metal to act as a shield. Leave an air gap between the heat source shielding and anything in the room. Check how the shield is working and blocks the heat early and often. A second piece of sheet metal may be needed. 

I found that thin is better than thick, two shields with air gaps are better then one. YMMV

I have a sheet of cement board, the kind you put up tile on, behind my forge where its close to the wooden (outer) wall of the woodshop.

It's leaned against the wall so there is an air gap, the top of the cement board is flush to the wall so sparks cannot get behind it.

The smooth face of cement board is not half bad as an impromptu chalk board as well.

Wood can burst into flames at as low as 200 degrees F or so I have read.  I have had good luck using sheet metal that is an inch or so off the wood.  I leave an opening at the bottom of the wall and at the top.  As the air behind the heat shield heats up it rises and is replaced by cooler air from below.  If you can hold your hand on the heat shield while the fire is going that is a good indiction you are safe.  I have followed this with all sorts of wood fired installations on boats, trailers and structures and I have never had a problem.

In marine applications wood stoves are placed within 2" of wood walls. Bright aluminum sheet reflects 99.something percent of radiant heat. Aluminum oxide reflects 98. Something percent. Boats place it on 1/2" stand offs as stove surrounds. Bright tin or galvi sheet works fin at further distances. Most gas forges don't get that hot except in the exhaust blast
The info on aluminum comes from a US army study on tentage, I think the decimal was .8 but of that I am not 100%