I Forge Iron

Ideal amount of CFM for a forge blower.

FireInTheForge02

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a new blower for my side blast forge, and we have come across a Fasco, 115 volt, 265 CFM centrifugal blower on Amazon. I was wondering, is this too much CFM? I'm burning coke, not much charcoal. i know you need a strong blast for a coke fire, not to mention some pressure. (please correct me if i'm wrong about anything). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking!!

when they say cfm, it all depends what pressure they are referring to... there is a lot of difference between 260 cfm @ 100psi and @ 10psi......
i may have a blower you could use, i will look and let you know mate.
did you see the blower that rid was using? a car fan.

Gotta be better than the hair dryer, mate!
See what Woody turns up... between us we should be able to set you up with something. There are a couple of old Buffalo blowers at my place. Might need pulling apart and greasing, but if you want one .....

Thanks for the kind offer Darryl, but i heard somewhere on this excellent forum that coke fires are better used with an electric blower, because coke goes out quite fast.

Thomas, i will be forging hammers and top and bottom tooling, with stock up from an inch thick (i do not do much knife making, only the odd one, my interests lie in the decorative and tool making aspects of the smithing craft) . my setup is a side blast forge, with the hearth and fire pot sitting in a dirt filled 3x3 feet bathtub discovered on the property, which is then stacked up approx. 3 1/2 feet by Bessa Blocks. I am thinking (for a temporary measure perhaps) to use some square tubing the size of the flanges on the blower, and have that as the tuyere system. As you said, i don't do so much large work, so maybe the Fasco's too large in CFM. (or just everything maybe!) so maybe something within the 100-200 Cubic Feet per Minute range?

Thank you again everybody!

Thank you for listening to my confusing posts!