I Forge Iron

Manuel Guerra padlock

Frank Turley

My wife, Juanita, took me to a restaurant for my 75th birthday. Upon arriving, a number of my old blacksmith friends began to show up. Wow! A surprise party. Helmut Hillenkamp presented me with this exquisite, small, Hispanic styled padlock which he acquired in Cuenca, Equador, circa 1985. It was made in Manuel Guerra's (RIP) shop. The openwork was done on sheet steel with small chisels of various shapes. The same pattern is on the reverse. The openwork sheets are riveted to the body of the lock with small pins. The length of the 1/4"D bar from tapered end to the curved end is 6 5/8".

One can youtube the shop in action by typing in "The Manuel Guerra Lockmaking Shop." Guerra is the one with the camo cap.

post-74-0-00124900-1415760312_thumb.jpg

That's OK Frank; Happy early 79th!

Emmert Studebaker was still hammering into his 90's and Isaac Doss was running a blacksmithing business when I met his at 86.

(One thing I have noticed is that many smiths stop maintaining their powerhammers after 80; but I'm sure that won't be an issue with Frank!)