I Forge Iron

Difficulty with vise handle

natkova

I have problem with my vise the handle parts are rod and nut on one side on other side is just somekind wire.

Now i can't tight this handle so it won't fall of. One side is good but where thread go it is really bad.

And i bend a litle bit haft. So it don't slide as it should.

Do you have some tips how to care about vise.

These screws that's have leverage are making problems too cause it use to rotate now when i try to rasp or file some pieces of wood or metal.

413xRKiphhL._SX300_.jpg

What is the diameter of the handle? Could you replace it with a piece of automotive coil spring straightened and headed on one end using the forge and then heat the other end insert it and head it with a hammer in place?

If not you could look into buying a stronger bolt, a grade 8 bolt will probably not be as easy to bend, a bit of teflon pipe dope on the threads can help the nut from working off.

Note these small vises are fairly weak and it may be a good thing that the handle bends before the castings crack. (The solution is to get a bigger vise!)

It get unscrewed from handle somehow. I dont now how, i wasn't thinking to work blacksmithing on this. It si for rasping sawing etc.

But it get anoying to search handle all time when it come off.

I will buy someday blacksmith vise so i can hit on it free than on this vise.

I didnt' lubricated it. I need to take mor care about vise.

Tomorow i will show picture of it.

The handle do this. And when i tight some metal example.

By gravitation it fall down. That kind of work  steal time when i need to crouch to bring back handle. Than return to rasping.

I tried to straighten up this with hmamer but it get worse. How to straight this handle.

Swivel base is rotating too much when i clamp longer pieces off metal or wood. How to fix that too.

I dont want to bother with this stupid and might easy to solve questions.

I would find a replacement rod of some kind if you can't straighten the original rod. If you can manage to get it straight again maybe you can use some form of epoxy to keep the nut from loosening and falling off. For the base twisting problem if you have a specific position that you use for grasping often one could drill through the top base all the way through the bottom and use a pin or rod to keep it from slipping or twisting.

I would find a replacement rod of some kind if you can't straighten the original rod. If you can manage to get it straight again maybe you can use some form of epoxy to keep the nut from loosening and falling off. For the base twisting problem if you have a specific position that you use for grasping often one could drill through the top base all the way through the bottom and use a pin or rod to keep it from slipping or twisting.

The base is drilled and have two holes under that holes there is one metal recentengular that have thread on it when you tight screw you go in that pieces so when it is dont that (metal pieces) is pushed to top and that's how it hold.

• 4 weeks later...

Take a standard rubber band and wrap it around the threaded portion of the handle.  A few wraps of electrical tape over the rubber band will build up a nice ball and prevent the handle from falling out.  Very cheap and easy to replace as it gets worn.

The handle doesn't look bent enough to be any problem.  As long as it moves freely through the mounting hole, I wouldn't worry about trying to straighten it.  Just wrap some wire, rubber bands and tape around the one end and go to work.