I Forge Iron

Side draft out a window?

oscer

I saw a picture somewhere of a forge that had a square box going out through a window and the stove pipe was coming out the top of the box. There was no text acompanying the pic, so I don't know how well it worked. I like the idea because it would save cutting a hole in the roof. I was wondering if any of you folks have a set up like this.

Search engines are your friend, but sometimes they are not smart enough to find what you want. You have to remember more than one key word or wording, and sometimes just have to go into manual mode and dig it out of the archives.

If you think about it, Hofi's chimney is similar to the Super Sucker, which is a shortened simplified version of the side draft chimney. Try all three and see which works best for you at your location at your forge. 

oscer,

Looking for stove pipe can cause health problems due to wallet shock. You don't actually need as heavy a product as that generally brings up. Metal duct is okay. Culvert is pretty good. If you can't find scrap, get seamed pipe -- even my local Ace Hardware has it relatively cheaply. 2 pieces of 6" seamed pipe can be seamed together to make a 12" pipe. Or, if you mail-order or look harder, you can find 12" seamed pipe as well.

I spent a ton of money on my first setup because of the "stove pipe" thing. Later I found out that a forge draws significant amounts of cool air and the flue gas is not as hot as the exhaust an enclosed wood stove produces. Further, I was pretty scared of galvinized. Now I know that the temperatures that make zinc dangerous are much higher. (And, I'd bet money that the stuff I got had a zinc primer under the black paint.)

Note: anything that touches your structure should be double-walled.

Charles those 90w grease drums are 14 inches dia here and about 27 inches long. They are also slightly different in size by different manufactures.

Look for an old hot water tank, strip off the thin tin shell, and roll the thin tin shell together and use screws to hold it together. The inside tank part is about 11 ga or less and when you cut out the ends makes a good chimney. Put the two together and you have about 10 feet of stack.

Another suggestion is to roll up a piece of corrugated tin roofing and use screws to hold it together. 

Use what is available to you at your location.