I Forge Iron

Plasma Cutter, any recommendations

hildenmw

Hi,

I bought a Unimig Sitecut 10 with built in compressor. It cuts up to 10mm but prefers 8mm and below. One recommendation though, make sure it comes with a stainless steel electrode and not copper if you intend to push the unit fairly heavily. I learnt the hard way when the copper electrode fused itself into the brass holder and I had to replace entire hand set.

Rob

Check on the ACTUAL, real time consumption of consumables (cutting tips) for that machine. They are not cheap and in my experience do not last nearly as long as advertised.  

Invest in a good water separator to be placed in line between the compressor and the cutting tips. We used two separators and it still ate tips.

I'm not sure of your circumstances but I would recommend buying the biggest that you can afford! And preferably one that needs a separate compressor (less to go wrong)

It sucks when you say " self I should have got the cut40 instead of the cut30 " etc. etc. I've now got a cut65 and wish I got the 100 .

I have been researching a plasma cutter for myself. Here is the one on the top of my list. Here is the reasons I like it.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-plasma-cutter.html

(1) In my price range for new.

(2) Re-placement tips (cutter nozzles)  are cheap.  I think 10 for $20.00 some tips can cost $10 - $20 each

(3) 3 year warranty 

(4) Can work on 220v and 110v

(5) Has a lot of positive reviews 

You need an air compressor with this plasma cutter. The cost to have a build in compressor on a plasma is a lot more money. 

I also like the Longgevity Forcecut 40D but the tips are expensive and the warranty is only 1 year. 

http://www.longevity-inc.com/plasma-cutters/forcecut-40d

Thinking about purchasing a plasma arc cutter with a built in air compressor . I have been told they are problematic . I would use for cutting 10 ga. Mild steel and lighter gauge copper or aluminum .

Thank You
Marc

your account(s) here have been closed due to your having 3 accounts, and your spamming the forum with multiple postings of this question.

If I was to get another plasma cutter it would be another Hypertherm hands down. No the least expensive units to buy, but the consumables last a long time. The tech school I help out at has 3 Hypertherm units in the weld shop. ( I understand the HVAC sheet metal shop and auto shop also have Hyperthem units from what I've been told). The machine we use stand up to a lot of abuse the high school kids put them thru. Two other tech schools in the area also only use Hypertherm units.

They also are made in the US by the workers who own the company, and that is also important to me.

As far as small units with air compressors on board, they are sort of specialized units. Usually they are built to be very light weight for cutting sheet metal ducts and so on on site vs the heavier shop duty ones. As mentioned air quality goes a really long ways to extending consumable life and having decent cut quality. If the air is good enough to spray paint with, it's good enough for plasma.