I Forge Iron

Oxygen Generators info needed

tecnovist

Hi I am interested to find out about a PSA - Pressure Swing Absorption ---Oxygen Generator the ones for Generateing Oxygen for use in a small engineering shops ----gas welding of panil steel mostly for oxy-acetelyne welding all thow having enouth for Oxy propane cutting--- Would be a good thing to have ---I am interested in the cost of a P.S.A to do that type of work ---IF any one knows the Prices of these things that would be neet -:D--- Thank you for you time----

From Wikipedia:
Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) is a technology used to separate some gas species from a mixture of gases under pressure according to the species' molecular characteristics and affinity for an adsorbent material. It operates at near-ambient temperatures and so differs from cryogenic distillation techniques of gas separation. Special adsorptive materials (e.g., zeolites) are used as a molecular sieve, preferentially adsorbing the target gas species at high pressure. The process then swings to low pressure to desorb the adsorbent material.

Using two adsorbent vessels allows near-continuous production of the target gas. It also permits so-called pressure equalisation, where the gas leaving the vessel being depressured is used to partially pressurise the second vessel. This results in significant energy savings, and is common industrial practice.

Applications of the PSA technology

One of the primary applications of PSA is in the removal of carbon dioxide (CO2) as the final step in the large-scale commercial synthesis of hydrogen (H2) for use in oil refineries and in the production of ammonia (NH3). Another application of PSA is the separation of carbon dioxide from biogas to increase the methane (CH4) content. Through PSA the biogas can be upgraded to a quality similar to natural gas.

Research is currently underway for PSA to capture CO2 in large quantities from coal-fired power plants prior to geosequestration, in order to reduce greenhouse gas production from these plants.[1]

PSA is an economic choice for small-scale production of reasonable purity oxygen or nitrogen from air. PSA technology has a major use in the medical industry to produce oxygen, particularly in remote or inaccessible parts of the world where bulk cryogenic or compressed cylinder storage are not possible.

Chemistry in New Zealand; Vol 55, No 2, 1991

Universal Industrial Gases
8000 Nm3/hr total liquid production (Approximately 300 tons per day)

Praxair

A little internet research may yield better information on what your are seeking.

Glenn Hi and Thank you for that info most interesting

I understood it worked the same way a diver gets the bends ... the nitrogen in the blood boils when it is depressurized to fast the diver then has a gas in there blood and the Oxygen boiled later or at a lower pressuer --:o-but that's just me nutting it out :o---
himm wonder what the Absorption material is

Zorbox marketed a small plant --but thet no longer doing it

I have a oxy unit that followed me home from the dump. it is the type used for home health care. It will produce 5 cu/L/min at about 5 lbs pressure. I have used it to supply a small oxy/map syystem (hand held). worked well. take care with the tubing that is used for health care around fire. It will burn like the fuse in a Pirate movie. It is hard to out run it to the machine. Don't ask me how I Know. ;-)

Sounds interesting, though i'm not sure if buying a machine would be cheaper than getting it from a local supply. I could see it if you're off in the outback. Just like electricity, hard to beat on-grid prices. If it was cheaper it would be common I'd think. Only on a rare occasion do you find something that useful not already being used.

Hijack: anyone here ever seen some of the old acetylene generators that were marketed to blacksmiths? Why are they not used anymore?

well thanks for that info it starting to look like thay maybe way to much exspence ----we could once owned the gas Ac&Ox bottals -but not any more we have to hire then $25 for the 2 bottals ,a month plus the cost of Gas

------ some one eles said that PSA only put out 95% Oxygen -- and that was not pure enouth for oxy-acetelyne welding -- is that cerrect??

Mark Parkinson---Hi--- hay thanks for the link and if you could Please ---put up the other links up--- i will go for a look see---

My cousin was looking into this on a larger scale before he passed away. He ordered a couple books ,and if I can find them you are welcome to have them. I believe he ordered them from Lindsay publications.Any of you who don't get this catalog are missing out. I must have a hundred of his books and will be ordering more. Can't get this stuff anywhere else.

• 1 year later...