I Forge Iron

Play between the axle and bearings

Quick question, 

How much size differential (play for lack of a better term) is acceptable between the ID of a bearing and the OD of the Axle? I have a shaft that is about 1 to 3 1/16s of an inch too narrow and I wanted to know if I could use a thin bushing to take up the slack. If that will not work I have another bar of round stock that is about 1/4 inch too thick I can try to have turned down to fit.

thanks

Ernest 

There isn't a quick answer to your quick question...If you mean what is typically called "running clearance" in a bearing to shaft fit then it varies with the application. If you are trying to bush a shaft for a power hammer then it would be best to use the proper shaft size. Not much different than grinding a crankshaft for an engine and using oversize bearings - you don't want much space beyond what's required for the lube film.

What is the application that you are inquiring about??

Clearance between axle and bearing should be measured in ten thousandth of an inch, if it were for machinery or highway use.

The difference between 1/16" and 3/16" clearance, Is not acceptable. IMHO

The job of a Blacksmith;

Measure with a yardstick

Cut it with an Axe

Heat it and Beat it

Until it fits perfectly

Clearances for anti-friction bearings (roller type) can be specified by the OEM. Sleeve bearings such as babbit or bronze will have clearances based on shaft size, weight, operating speed, oil type and lubrication system. Most anti-friction bearings will have a .001 slip fit to a .002 shrink fit depending on application. Sleeve bearings will usally have a .003 to .025 clearance depending on application.