I Forge Iron

So I made a ghetto forge

lukebailey

I will have pics soon. Basically it is the top of a charcoal grill, with a three way pipe coming from the bottom (I cut a hole). The air source is a basketball pump, secured to the metal tube with duct tape (It melted.) Basically it looks like this. Any critique? I manages to get a stainless steel wallhanger katana red hot after a few minutes. A good sign, no?

forge.jpg

Try a blow drier or inflate all for the air blast. Nothing fundamentally wrong with the design except maybe the duct tape. You can find muffler tape for not much almost anywhere and it'll more than take the heat at the tuyere.

Frosty

welcome to the site!

the forge idea looks good, youll apreciate an electric blower on it though :)

theres a whole world of hot above 'red' but its a good start (im still looking for proper hot, see the damascus mateial thread I started, im still looking for hot HOT)

try having a read through some of the blueprints, and hitting a bit of hot metal, youll soon get addicted to it !

Hey luke i just have a question do you live in the NJ area because I have a friend named anthony bailey. I am not trying to get personal i am only 13 so I am not some type of bad guy. ZI just wanted to know so mabe if you are who i think then maybe we can do some blacksmithing together. My real question was how do you drill a hole in a peice of metal its about as thick as a stop sign.

My real question was how do you drill a hole in a peice of metal its about as thick as a stop sign.
Using a tool called a drill, whether hand powered or electric powered doesn't matter. This works for most any thickness from sheet metal to an inch or more thick.

Another way is to heat the metal and use a hammer and punch to create the hole.

Another way for thin metal is a metal punch. The dies come in several small (and not so small) sizes and the punch is operated by pneumatics, hydraulics or mechanical leverage.

Another way is to use Ox/ac, or a plasma cutter, which depending on your ability to hold the torch, leaves a smooth or rough edged hole.

Hint: For real thin metal place the metal on a block of wood and drill through the metal and into the wood. The wood gives support to the thin metal.

I originally rested my forge on a piece of wood. I learned somthing that day when i lite a fire that not to every rest my forge on wood it. Once i set the fire it lite the peice of wood on fire......!!!!!:o:rolleyes:

uh-oh thats what ive been doing :)

Nope sorry bud I live in Florida. THere do seem to be a lot of baileys out there its surprising.

Yeah the hair dryer would be a good idea. But then it would lose it's old-fashioned feel :)