I Forge Iron

Grinding or rounding the edges on a new anvil.

Hot link removed at the request of the Anvilfire site owner.

I think one of the best tools would be a grinder like this, but I have only dressed radii on used anvils- no new toys for me  :(

Congrats on your new anvil, post some pictures of the progressZ0mU8wY.jpg

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

I use a disk grinder or one with a sanding disk. Use a light touch and don't whip it back and forth, just a slow, steady motion to prevent flat spots and digging in. When I radius corners like anvil edges I keep the body of the disk grinder above and at 90* to the anvil. This allows a full range of motion from flat on the face or the sides and any angle between.

Take small steps, you can always grind a little more off but putting it back if you go too far is a serious PITA.

How about posting a couple pics of your anvil, we LOVE pics.

Frosty The Lucky.

Rounding the edges on an anvil can be a very personal thing ! PER Smith !

from how round you want it 1/8 or 3/8" & where on the anvil !!!!! & how long !!! tapered

it also depending on what you forge often on the anvil & of coarse where you stand LOL

I would take a disc sander a take off JUST very sharpness of the edge & use for now

LIKE Glen said !!!

then look @ other smiths anvils & try them out if they let you always ask ! before using

ask why they ground theirs that way ? 

then when you find what works for you THEN copy that pattern  :) 

when I repair weld anvils I tell my customers that they get to round edges the way they want or they can come over

& I will help them in doing it

STEVE'S Welding & Fab

PS---- Pic's are good