I Forge Iron

Anvil help for the new guy

The opportunity to purchase this anvil has arose. I believe it to be a Sloan, in the #100-110 range. I'm just getting into the art and don't have an anvil yet. Without ringing it and check for cracks and rebound I need a little guidance. Thanks in advance for the help.

post-57167-0-31659600-1411697842_thumb.j

post-57167-0-19312600-1411697858_thumb.j

Dave-

Its a poor example of a Vulcan anvil. It is missing part of it's top plate which was pretty thin to begin with. If you do a little research you can find how most smiths feel about Vulcan anvils. They are better than nothing and some larger ones work well but the one you are looking at isn't much better than a cast iron ASO. You'd be better off finding a piece of railroad track or a block of steel from the scrap yard work one.

Value depends on what they are asking as well. Is it a $25 anvil? Sure. Is it a $300 anvil? No, not with the obvious issues visible from here. In the middle it gets more difficult. Some areas are loaded with anvils, others are not. It's obviously damaged, but how is that damage effecting it'd performance and rebound? No way to tell that by just pictures.

Take a minute and add your location to your profile so we know where you are at. You might find someone local who can point you in the right direction or recommend a local group you can join. Many groups have a tailgating area at local meetings and you might find an anvil there for example.

sorry for my bluntness. walk away.

A chunk of RR rail would be far better. or a flat anything. I have replaced the top plate on 3 anvils and it is a lot of work but not on a Vulcan. Honestly that is not and anvil, but it would work to hold a door open or block for you trailer tires.

i am going to ring in on the side of if you can pick that up for under 25 bucks having a horn and a hardy hole is very handy keep an eye out for a piece of RR track as well but that anvil while ugly will work just not as well as many others

it will be a big plus to have a "real" anvil to let your friends and family work on down the road

i have an old cast anvil that is beat to heck but still works fine as an upsetting block on the floor and gets pulled out when i have someone with no hammer control but lots of enthusiasm in the shop it lets me teach them and give them advice without flinching

Not for $100 for $25 or there abouts it's got a hardy hole, horn and enough weight to make them work. It's a quality + damage + price equation. Lay out the damage and what that means for a tool and make a counter offer at going scrap rates. Old doesn't equal antique either, I put no value in antique for a smithing tool.

Frosty The Lucky.