I Forge Iron

Speed reducing gearboxes on power hammers

Good Morning folks, 

I have been doing some looking around and do not recall seeing a mechanical power hammer that used a speed reducing gearbox. Since speed reducing gearboxes are used in other types of applications such as electric vehicles but not power hammers it makes me think there may be a reason for this. My best guess would be that the gears would not hold up, long term that is, against the residual shock of the hammer. 

As always if I do not know what I am talking about please feel free to correct me, my wife should not have all the fun. 

Thanks all

Ernest

I don't have any pictures but I've read about some hammers with automotive gearboxes, etc.  If the motor and gearbox is mounted seperatley from the hammer base and connected by the drive belt, wouldn't that eliminate any wear from the shock of the hammer itself?

Nick,

That is what I was thinking but since I have never seen one it makes me think there is more to it. I do think that a belt or some other flexible connector would shield it from the worst of the shock but I am an information security professional and I don't really know.

Mo, very good question.

Let's say you have a 3600 RPM motor and want to step it down 15:1 but have limited space. There are 15:1 gear boxes on Ebay that will handle more than 1HP in a nice and compact package for less than $50.00. You (I that is) could go from a 1.55" pulley to a 24"+ rear bike wheel (I need to find an unguarded unicycle) or use a 2 step process to go from 7.5:1 and then again 7.5:1. The larger pulleys can be at least $30.00 each not counting the smaller pulleys, belts and space involved.  A 15:1 gearbox is about 6" to 10" square and the gearbox does not need a cage around pulleys and belts.

I have a 50 lb brooks hammer with a reducing gear box attached to the main drive shaft  (4 to one I think) the drive motor also has a torque convertor on it. this is not a standard kind of hammer though and I have not gotten round to fixing it up and using it.. but they do exist. a similar gear box to this would cost you a fortune new, its pretty industrial.

I would try and think in torque more than horse power as far as belt slip and gear box size. and also consider which side of the clutch it should go. there are definite advantages in having a big pully driving the hammer cam and a smaller one as motor take off if you are relying on belt slip for the clutch..

The more industrial the better with hammers.

I would not try and reinvent the wheel for the sake of a few $. unless of course thats your kick....In which case go for it...

Basher,

I hate to out my self as a pack rat but I gots to be me. I have one such gear box but it is about 43:1 so I would not use it. Your comments sound like what I was suspecting. You would be amazed what you can get from Ebay these days. I still need to find me a someone down on thier luck with a unicycle to hock. :)

(I need to find an unguarded unicycle) .

. I still need to find me a someone down on thier luck with a unicycle to hock. :)

Go to the circus and mug a clown!  :ph34r:               LOL  :P

Seriously why won't a bicycle with 2 wheels supply you with the one you need?