I Forge Iron

Police officer came to my shop today...

... And dropped of an anvil! :P THAAAP at work... He wouldn't take anything for it either. Just wants it to go to someone who will use it.

A local police officer I took a class night school machining class with a few years back at the local tech school  has been promising to drop by and give me the old anvil that came out of his fathers welding shop that they saved when his dad passed away years ago.  Every time I see him his 1st words out of his mouth are. " I haven't forgotten you. Don't buy an anvil, I'll get the one I promised to you..." Anyways since I've been asked to demo at the Grange fair, I politely made reference that it would be nice to have a bigger anvil to do the demo with. Well he shows up today after work with this one.

No distinct marks that I could see looking it over quickly this evening when he dropped it off. I'm guessing it's about 200 lbs or so, based on the fact it took 2 of us to unload it, and comparing it to my 130 lb one when I moved it to take picts after he left. 26" in length, 12" high, 5" wide face. I'll bring the scale with me tomorrow and actually weigh it.

Looks to me to be forged with the 2 handling holes. Base is flat. face has a few pits near the hardie hole, most likely from a cutting torch. None look to affect the usefulness of the face, but I my just tig up the 2 or 3 spots eventually. Face is slightly bellied, but not terribly so. Looks to be pretty smooth and the edges look to be decent overall.

Any idea who may have made this? I'll probably strip the paint eventually, but for now it's going to stay this way, at least until after the fair.

post-25608-0-68630500-1407633336_thumb.j  post-25608-0-84081600-1407633342_thumb.j  post-25608-0-91918600-1407633353_thumb.j  post-25608-0-41029700-1407633368_thumb.j  post-25608-0-81277800-1407633378_thumb.j

It's a winner!....... all round and apears like karma at work too.

I was thinking about good karma later last night.

A few weeks back while taking my 1st forging class of the year, the discussion at lunch turned to big bench grinders. I mentioned to the instructor and one of the other students that I had a 12" 3 phase Baldor bench grinder tucked back in the corner of the shop for years, and if one of them wanted it, they could have it. I ended up with it off a job, and have never had a chance to have access to 3 phase to hook it up and see if it worked.

The instructor had 1st dibs, but passed, so I ended up giving it to the student and told him since I had no idea if it worked or not, to see if it needed to be rewound or what. Not knowing how much he might have to drop into it if he needed to have it rebuilt and wanting to be fair, I gave him my card and mentioned I'd trust him to give me what he thought was fair for it after it was looked at, or at least let me know what the outcome was if it wasn't worth dropping the cash on.

If nothing else it finally got it out of the garage and made valuable space that I can fill with other things... like anvils! :D I figure if I get anything from the grinder, I'll just toss it in my blacksmithing tool fund, towards a floor cone, swage block or power hammer... Whatever I find 1st when I have enough funds collected. I guess even if I get nothing for the grinder, I'm out the same cost for this anvil.

Thanks Ivan. I 'm still researching on Badgers ( not the furry striped ones with a bad attitude and claws...) I found one thread here mentioning postman didn't have a lot on them in AIA. Other than that, so far not much, or even a rough time period for the piece.

Looks an awful lot like my Fisher, 1860-1870 time frame. Same notch in the rear foot, same bulge below the hardie, but mine has the raised/cast eagle on the side you didn't show us. Looks to be in beautiful condition. Congrats on the score.

Looks an awful lot like my Fisher, 1860-1870 time frame. Same notch in the rear foot, same bulge below the hardie, but mine has the raised/cast eagle on the side you didn't show us. Looks to be in beautiful condition. Congrats on the score.

Might be a FISHER.  Get the paint off and lightly wire wheel the anvil.  Then it will be easier to identify it.

That would be VERY cool! I have a small 50 lb Fisher and have worked on a 300 lb one at the college. I thought it looked a lot like a Fisher, but the holes in the waist kind of threw me and I didn't see any of the normal markings I'd have expected on a Fisher.

I'll definitely strip the paint after next weeks show and see what I find. I'll post the weight later after I head to the shop, assuming I don't forget the scale again...