Jump to content
I Forge Iron



Recommended Posts

Here's an ulu that I finished recently. The blade is old leaf spring, the handle is aluminum. The blade tapers slightly through the handle and and is held tight by peening over the top. I was planning on adding pins but once I got this far I realized the handle isn't going anywhere. Thanks for looking.







Link to comment
Share on other sites

At least seal the join or water getting in will cause galvanic action. A vacuum cleaner and epoxy works pretty well. Duct tape the vac hose to one side of the joint and let it suck the epoxy through the joint. Slow cure epoxy stays workable longer and is much stronger than the fast stuff.


If you degrease the joint with xylene first it'll bond better just make sure it's dry first. When all the gaps are filled it'll draw the epoxy much slower. You can trim the excess with a razor blade once it's set. Trimming before it's fully cured is FAR easier than afterward.


Frosty The Lucky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments guys. The joint is sealed with JB weld to prevent galvanic corrosion. On the next one I may add pins purely for aesthetic reasons but I'm pretty confident in the current attachment method. I'm sure I could loosen the handle with a big enough hammer but I doubt I could get it off without breaking it into pieces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...