I Forge Iron

Securing my anvil

I want to know why guys from the US, especially in Alaska, are interested in cooking up some Australia marsupial that looks like a big rat? The guys living in Oz I might understand...  :P

We're more open to different things than folk in the lower 48? Seriously, it's not that much more expensive to ship something from down under than Florida.

I don't know what you mean by big rat looking marsupials but I'll give it a try if available and I know what it's called.

Frosty The Lucky.

See Justin Wilson's Homegrown Louisiana Cookin', 1990, P.56-57 "How to Make a Roux". After consuming enough of the result, refer to images in posts 17 and 21 in this topic for possible self-transport ideas.

And just how do we see this? I don't have the book ! Randy its just wrong to tease(grin)

Ooh...puns. You'll roux the day.

For gumbo, it's gotta be a dark roux. No whether you do things Cajun or Creole, that's another matter. LOVE Justin Wilson. Man could measure exact number of tablespoons into his hand, dead drunk on red wine, and still cook and tell a story at the same time.

Wife often nixes the seafood side of it (except the shrimp), but it's still wonderful with chicken or rabbit. Definitely would try with roo, koala, or even drop bears. Gotta have andouille though. Oh yeah, and how'd that anvil work out, Jake?

Is that the gravy boat Frosty?

Gravy boats, yes Ian. Would you like me to PM the pun explanations from now on? I can do that, Mother and I had to explain running pun (call them pun threads) to Dad and Sis if they mistakenly thought we were having a serious conversation.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ooh...puns. You'll roux the day.

For gumbo, it's gotta be a dark roux. No whether you do things Cajun or Creole, that's another matter. LOVE Justin Wilson. Man could measure exact number of tablespoons into his hand, dead drunk on red wine, and still cook and tell a story at the same time.

Wife often nixes the seafood side of it (except the shrimp), but it's still wonderful with chicken or rabbit. Definitely would try with roo, koala, or even drop bears. Gotta have andouille though. Oh yeah, and how'd that anvil work out, Jake?

Gonna spice it up, make it saucy for us? I can jumble the language on ya, I ga-RON-teee.

Genuine andouille can be hard to find here on the Last Frontier so some of us have developed suitable substitutes from spicy smoked sausage. Hot reindeer links are pretty good and easy to get. Home made spicy smoked moose is really good but I like moose better than caribou or reindeer. (same critter, boo are wild, reindeer are domesticated) Decent smoked sausage is commonly available and adjusting the spice load and other ingredients can make a darned tasty great white northern gumbo. Okra grows just fine here as does the holy trinity.

Seafood we have, even shrimp/prawns but crab gumbo . . . HooWEE.

Frosty The Lucky.

Gonna spice it up, make it saucy for us? I can jumble the language on ya, I ga-RON-teee.

Nah, just liberally pepper my speech with em a bit. (or is that corny? Thyme will tell.) It makes me sound more sage. 

Saving my okra for a batch now. Nothing wrong with a little substitution. Found a lovely variation by putting mead in instead of wine.

While you guys are busy, I'm getting started on Securing my anvil to a column fabricated with these four 23" lengths. They are 4 1/4" tall and would be "53 pound" rail. Cut by local shop with abrasive cut-off saw; $2.50 per cut, my rail. Total column weight will be 136# with a cruciform cross-section.

My welder is using wire feed w/70,000#  wire, no preheat. This rail is HARD and the spark pattern from the cut-off wheel looks just crazy carbon. Rings like a bell. My welder says "I've welded it before just fine". Anyone care to share how they think the welding will work?

post-55627-0-76616700-1407980214_thumb.j

1085 +/- low alloy HC steel. Minimal preheat if at all, tack it up, weld it up, ping relieve and let air cool. If he's a professional welder he won't need the advice, if he has questions he'll have the handbook.

Frosty The Lucky.

Y'all I have a question. I have a 8x8x16 120# block of solid steel that I'm having a bar time of figuring out how to mount on a stand. No feet to tie down with and not sure I want to break the blocks integrity by drilling into it.
thank you

Do you weld? However you want to orient it a steel stand is simple enough, 3 legs will sit stably on most any surface. If you want a wooden stand you can weld tabs(ears) to the "notional" foot and screw it down. Drilling and bolting down should have no impact on it's forging characteristics so long as you don't get silly large with the holes. Fisher's have (I believe) 5/8" holes through the lugs(tabs/ears) and just two lugs welded kitty corner on the ends.

Welding a frame and feet to it will work just fine. Welding, or drilling and tapping for a spike is something I've no experience with but sounds workable. I'd put two spikes on it though to prevent it turning.

Frosty The Lucky.

I work with 3 different anvils and they are all attached to actual stumps with bent over pins. They made it over from Germany and have lasted a good 30 years. Al
Have a metal band around the stump. Why build when Mother Nature supplies a great product you can get for free?

Still a little off topic as technically I haven't "Secured my anvil" yet, but the stand it WILL be secured to is done. Four hold-down dogs still required.

post-55627-0-87121700-1409197498_thumb.j

Frosty's plan for welding was right on; evidence here that RR rail can be successfully welded without preheating. In this case rail was welded to itself and to mild steel using wire-feed with ER70S-6 wire and considerable peening. My welder stated he used a two pound hammer and "really wailed on the piece" during and after welding. Stand weighs 170#. The Hay-Budden was bedded in caulk; plastic wrap and non-stick cooking spray on anvil and stand to facilitate removal if needed. Absolutely eerily quiet. Rebound is about 85%.

Still a little off topic as technically I haven't "Secured my anvil" yet, but the stand it WILL be secured to is done. Four hold-down dogs still required.

attachicon.gif004.JPG

Frosty's plan for welding was right on; evidence here that RR rail can be successfully welded without preheating. In this case rail was welded to itself and to mild steel using wire-feed with ER70S-6 wire and considerable peening. My welder stated he used a two pound hammer and "really wailed on the piece" during and after welding. Stand weighs 170#. The Hay-Budden was bedded in caulk; plastic wrap and non-stick cooking spray on anvil and stand to facilitate removal if needed. Absolutely eerily quiet. Rebound is about 85%.

The wailing with the hammer is what we used to call pinging and relieving. Not MY plan for welding rail it's how we welded temporary emergency bridge piles. If one was available the helper would sit there with a chipping hammer and beat the snot out of the weld till it dropped below red heat while the welder burned rod. Burn a couple inches, roll the pile, helper pings the hot weld while the welder lays another couple inches, roll ping and weld. Weld, ping, weld, ping weld, ping, long days but it paid the rent.

Looks good, ought to last several generations.

Frosty The Lucky.