I Forge Iron

Help Identifying Forge

FlyingXS

Any word on how it works? For the most part blowers aren't complicated machines and they were built very robustly so unless there's something broken they can be rebuilt with care and patience. Can you lay hands on it? You will be better able to evaluate it's condition if you can look at it in person, turn the crank and put some water in the parts that hold water to check for leaks.

I don't know if that's a good price on your side of the planet. Were it me I'd consider how available coal or even coke is and how much I was going to use it. For me $300 wouldn't be too steep if I had decent coal available. If the water tray and bosh, if it has one, hold water, the blower blows and I used coal I don't think it'd be out of reason. I just can't say what's reasonable for you.

I think I've laid out what I'd factor into the value. I hope it's some help.

Frosty The Lucky.

Looks like a great forge.  The water trough comes in very handy, but I'd give it a good coat of some kind of paint to kill further rusting if you decide to fill it with water.  It just makes it last that much longer.

It doesn't look to be a heavy-duty forge, but plenty good enough for 99% of the smithing you're likely to do as a hobbyist.  The gear ratio on the blower will determine how much volume you're getting.

I've always wanted to try a side-blast forge.

Is it worth $300?  Yea, if you have a good supply of coal or coke.  It would be too shallow for a charcoal fire, imo.  If you can talk him down a few dollars, that wouldn't be a bad thing!

• 1 month later...

$300 is a bit rich, I would of tried much less, I have 1 Buffalo and 2 Rapid blo blowers and the most I have paid was $140 . But in saying that ,none of them had a forge with them , that I had to build myself . So if  you are unable to built one for less than  $160 then it is a good buy.